The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: "Thunderbird"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Just south of SLC

WTN: "Thunderbird"

by AaronW » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:13 pm

Strange but true. Yes, this wine is called "Thunderbird". Screwcapped closure, a citrus white that is endowed with "natural flavors and caramel color" weighing in at 13.5% alcahol, and to top it off- the bottom of the label boasts- "The American Classic". I found it at a quaint little drug/crafts store in Idaho in 2002. It carries no vintage and I just decided this weekend to pop the top and take a nose dive. By the way, the upper left hand corner of the label says "SERVE COLD".

I N T E R E S T I N G!?
Ummmm, not quite.

It was quite sweet; like a late harvest riesling, very overbearing on alcahol and just not really enjoyable. Gimme a jug of E&G White Zin
anyday over this stuff. Anyway, the label's kind of cool, but I figure there are plenty of "pretty" labels out there that I could spend my 8 bucks on that actually has consumable contents.

If there's anyone out there that's heard of or experienced "thunderbird" please drop a line. Besides, if no one else has, by golly, they're missing out on "The American Classic". LOL

Later

P.S. I almost forgot a very important part of my T-bird experience as relates to it's consumability: It helped make some awesome turkey gravy for Sunday dinner. The sweetness of the wine combined with the savory-ness of the turkey drippings created a surprisingly balanced turkey-topper.
So I feel a little better now. It wasn't a total loss. TTFN
"Wine can of their wits the wise beguile;
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile."

- Homer 900 B.C.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: "Thunderbird"

by Howie Hart » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:20 am

Is this the same "T-Bird" that used to advertise with "What's the word? Thunderbird!" I've never had it, but I did drink 2 quarts of Ripple once back in the '60s. My recollection was that T-Bird was fortified and higher than the 13.5% you listed. A Google search found the following, which lists it at 17.5%.

Thunderbird
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:21 pm

Are they really still selling this stuff? Geez...takes me way back to the mid 70's. It was pretty popular then (college days) I would never have thought it would still be around.

Richard
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:57 pm

Aaron,

Excellent! Perhaps you could post a tasting note on the recent "Night Train" vintage. :wink:
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Alan A.

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:22 pm

Being blue deep within a red state.

by Alan A. » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:08 pm

Not sure if this has ever been posted before here, but there is a website dedicated to "Bum Wines" (T-bird, MD20/20, Cisco, Night Train, Wild Irish Rose, etc) complete with tasting notes, history of the offending hooch, and its ability to get one trashed....

Bum Wines

Enjoy! :twisted:
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:18 pm

Alan A. wrote:Not sure if this has ever been posted before here, but there is a website dedicated to "Bum Wines" (T-bird, MD20/20, Cisco, Night Train, Wild Irish Rose, etc) complete with tasting notes, history of the offending hooch, and its ability to get one trashed....

Bum Wines

Enjoy! :twisted:

Yes, but what were the Parker scores? :wink:
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:56 pm

I remember this stuff quite well from circa 1966. Well, actually I don't remember the wine at all, but still have flashbacks of the horrific hangover and 24 hours of "buying a Buick".
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Just south of SLC

by AaronW » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:41 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Is this the same "T-Bird" that used to advertise with "What's the word? Thunderbird!" I've never had it, but I did drink 2 quarts of Ripple once back in the '60s. My recollection was that T-Bird was fortified and higher than the 13.5% you listed. A Google search found the following, which lists it at 17.5%.

Thunderbird

Awesome feedback Howie!
That's the stuff, except the label's a little different on the bumwine site than what I have.
I'll try to post a pic of the label, maybe we could generate a little more nostalgic nirvana! :lol:
"Wine can of their wits the wise beguile;
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile."

- Homer 900 B.C.
no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Just south of SLC

by AaronW » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:46 pm