The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Dumbing down the wine experience?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

Dumbing down the wine experience?

by Robert Reynolds » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:50 am

Wife showed me this ad in a current issue of a woman's magazine: "Wine That Loves". http://Www.winethatloves.com. Not quite sure what to think, but a quick look-through of the Website revealed nothing as to the actual grape involved in any of the wines, which are labeled with a picture of the food it is to be served with. :roll:
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: Dumbing down the wine experience?

by Peter May » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:01 am

Good marketing tho' not original.

What would naming the variety (though they are may be blends) add?

This wine is aimed at those who don't want to be bothered by, or are scared by such details. There's a whole load of people who want to be told what wine to have with what food.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: Dumbing down the wine experience?

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:47 am

The KISS principle ... so why not? Now it remains to be seen whether the market perceived by the founders is really there.

I read a little of their reasoning for their selections. It seems they are on the "opposites attract" side of the line, e.g. lower acid food with higher acid wine versus like with like, e.g. a buttery Chardonnay with a buttery dish. That actually gets my vote, but I'll still buy my own wines.

These descriptions also provide their customers with something to say about the wine. That'll make them feel smart.

"Go grab me the bottle with the chicken on it, Thelma! Ya' know, the medium acid one."
And now what?