The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Going green with transporting my wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

M.Todd

Rank

Just got here

Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:01 pm

Going green with transporting my wine

by M.Todd » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:06 pm

I am interested in hearing from others on how they transport their wine bottles, especially during flight. I want to get away from cardboard and styrofoam over and over. Although I know that this packaging can be recycled, I believe the reality is that it doesn't always happen. I am looking at spending a little more upfront on just one reusable wine carrier and not continuing to put more styrofoam and carboard out there. I've seen this winecruzer wine carrier out there. Looks great for all around travel. Want to know what else you've seen and/or other green alternatives.

M.Todd :)
M.Todd
Enjoy today!
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

Re: Going green with transporting my wine

by Keith M » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:58 pm

Welcome to WLDG! This is an interesting post as I currently use the cardboard and styrofoam approach when I fly and I looked into a reusable wine transport system. One huge reason I didn't was the cost. A box with fitted styrofoam for 12 bottles sets me back about $8 to $10 and if I'm lucky I can use it for four or five flights (with lots of packing tape wrapped around to make it wear down more slowly).

Other options, such as the winecruzer you mentioned, set you back more than $400. That's a lot of styrofoam boxes and a lot of money I have to put up front. Probably for that reason alone, I'll stick with my current system.

Add to that that options such as the winecruzer weigh 30 pounds empty. Add the weight of 12 bottles of wine and I'm not even sure that that fits within current weight restrictions on airlines--and I fully expect that such restrictions will become more stringent in the future moving toward a pay-per-pound of your luggage system. So I'm more likely to have to pay and, in terms of being green, you have to include the jet fuel that would be burned to haul a 30-pound piece of luggage everywhere you go instead of whatever the minimal weight of the box-and-cardboard solution would be.

Anyway, I'd far prefer a reusable solution, so if anyone is aware of one that is more cost-effective and less-weighty, I'd love to hear of it!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: Going green with transporting my wine

by Mark Lipton » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:47 pm

Keith M wrote:Anyway, I'd far prefer a reusable solution, so if anyone is aware of one that is more cost-effective and less-weighty, I'd love to hear of it!

How about an insert for a suitcase? Ideally, it could just be the styrofoam insert from a cardboard shipper; alternatively, one could just craft one out of low resiliency foam. I successfully brought back 15 bottles from France by interleaving them with clothes in 3 suitcases.

Mark Lipton