The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Sardinia, Mosel, Calatayud

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Sardinia, Mosel, Calatayud

by Dale Williams » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:38 pm

Betsy's parents are in NY, staying with her sister, but they joined us Saturday for a nice dinner on the patio with bbq chicken, grilled eggplant and squash, and corn. The gold and house finches were around the feeder, and we had first fireflies of the season (exciting for the Californians). Wine was the 2006 Las Rocas de San Alejandro Rosado (Calatayud). I had asked store manager (an MW) for the crispest rose he had, this was his choice. Crisp isn't first word that comes to mind. Ripe strawberry and cherry fruit, lots of body, but quite a bit rounder than what I look for in a rosé. I think this would be higher on most people's list than mine, certainly well-made but a little too fruit-driven for my tastes in pink. B-

Sunday we hosted her parents and her sister's family for a combination Father's Day, birthday (her dad) and 20th anniversary (her sister and BIL) party. I grilled shrimp; Betsy made spanikopita, a grilled vegetable salad with feta, and tomatillo guacamole. Warm day, leftover rosé and two whites:

2002 Willi Schaefer Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett (MSR)
I've liked this before, but something about it today really hit the spot. Sweetness over a saline minerality, bright lime/citrus fruit with a little green apple. The acidity keeps it lively, but there's a gentleness/round edge to the acids that make it smooth and easy to drink. Very popular, and soon drained. A-/B+

2006 Argiolas "Costamolino" (Vermentino di Sardegna)

Some chalky minerals, citrus and tropical notes, a little herbal bitterness. Nice flavor profile, but could use just a touch more acidity, and there's a little hot note. Good , not great, hard to get enthused after the Riesling. B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency