The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A pretty Gruner Veltliner and a wonderful salad.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: A pretty Gruner Veltliner and a wonderful salad.

by Bob Ross » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:43 pm

Domäne Wachau Federspiel "Terrassen" Gruner Veltliner Austria 2005. Modern Museum of Art, Fifth Floor Cafe. $7.00 a glass.

Light straw yellow color, clear hue, shy aroma of gooseberries, apple and pepper, very good citrus, apple and peach flavors, light mineral notes that persist in a pleasant finish, mild but lively acidity. Very nice luncheon wine, and a perfect match for the slow poached egg salad. 3*+.

Janet and I spent an interesting day in the City yesterday, including five hours touring MOMA. We both found the museum cold and unattractive, and some pictures suffer grievously -- Monet's "Water Lilies" in particular seemed washed out and lifeless. [I have spent many hours in the past with those lilies, dreaming and imagining myself far from New York City.]

MOMA's food service is quite splendid, and very wine friendly. We ate at Terrace 5. This Gruner Veltliner was a perfect match for a perfect salad, one new to me. MOMA calls it "Slow-poached egg", charges $13 and serves it perfectly. This dish consists of a bed of 20 tiny frisée heads lightly coated with anchovy vinaigrette and very lightly dusted with parmigiano cheese. The egg is very, very soft and becomes a delicate salad dressing. The whole is served on a rectangular white dish with four roasted cherry tomatoes framing the whole. The flavors are delicate and etheral -- the frisée gives the dish substance, and the whole is a perfect medley, enhanced greatly by the wine.

Regards, Bob

Notes: Vin Divino Ltd., Importer. http://www.vindivino.com/

The largest cooperative in the Wachau valley, Freie Weingartner consists of 750 members and the showplace of the winery is the Durnstein abbey depicted on the label. This image is historically important, as it was the deeding of the vineyards throughout the valley to its people by the disbanding Cistercian order that is responsible for what became the cooperative as we know it today. FWW produces a large array of wines for every use, but the pride and joy is the Domane Wachau series, initiated with the 2001 vintage. The aim was the creation of a separate “brand” to emphasize the powerful terroir characteristics of the valley. Only 15% of the cooperative’s entire production goes into the Domane Wachau line.

“Terrassen” or terraced signifys that this wine is sourced from multiple terraced vineyards, while the term "Federspiel" is a quality designation (specific to the Wachau from lowest to highest: Steinfeder, Federspiel, and Smaragd).

Winery: http://www.fww.at Screwcap.

MOMA's wine friendliness; http://www.themodernnyc.com/t5/t5.html:

Wine Flights 3 oz. tastes

Pale Green to Deep Gold choose any three white wines listed below $15.
Rouge, Rosso, and Tinto choose any three red wines listed below $17.

Sparkling Wine glass / bottle
Prosecco Rustico, Nino Franco, Valdobbiadene, NV 8./45.
Cremant d’Alsace, Brut Rosé, Lucien Albrecht, NV 10./50.

White Wine glass / bottle
Gruner Veltliner Federspiel, Domäne Wachau, Austria, 2005 7./28.
Sauvignon Blanc, Hunter’s, Marlborough, New Zealand, 2005 10./40.
Riesling Kabinett, Schloss Wallhausen, Nahe, Germany, 2005 11./44.
Chenin Blanc, Mulderbosch, Stellenbosch, South Africa, 2004 9./36.
Viognier/Marsanne, Hermit Crab, D’Arenberg, Australia, 2004 8./32.
Chardonnay, Vero, Joseph Drouhin, Burgundy, 2003 12./48.

Rose Wine glass / bottle
Rouvière Rosé, Château Routas, Provence, 2006 7./28.

Red Wine glass / bottle
Garnacha/Tempranillo, Borsao Crianza Seleccion, Spain, 2004 8./32.
Cabernet Sauvignon, Los Vascos (Lafite-Rothschild), Chile, 2004 11./44.
Saumur Champigny, Clos des Chatains, Regis Neau, 2000 9./36.
Merlot, Sassi Grossi, Ticino, 1997 12./48.
Zinfandel, Starry Night Winery, Lake County, California, 2002 13./52.

Half Bottles too good to only have one glass!

White
Sancerre, Richard Bourgeois, Loire Valley, 2005 26.
Chardonnay, Trefethen, Napa Valley, 2004 30.

Red
Pinot Noir, Calera, Central Coast, California, 2002 28.
Shiraz, Yalumba, Barossa, Australia, 2004 24.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: A pretty Gruner Veltliner and a wonderful salad.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:41 pm

That is a nice selection of wines there Bob. Especially the d`Arenberg blend as well as the terrific Prosecco from Franco. Many of the wines you listed are available up here.....the east coast is catching up with the AB selection!!!!
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:32 am

The Calera Pinot Noir would attract my attention among other wines on the list.

Did you get to see the Serra sculpture exhibit? I really wanted to see that while in New York but the museum being closed on Tuesday upset that plan. I didn't arrive in NYC until late afternoon Monday and was going to a Broadway matinee on Wednesday.

Enjoyed meeting you at the offline at La Grolla. Thank you for making the trip in on a rainy evening.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:57 am

I did see the Serra exhibit -- it was impossible to miss at least part of it -- two of the largest and most effective pieces were in the garden, and there were a couple of other pieces in other locations, the second floor if memory serves. This piece in the garden was one of the stars.

The sixth floor had the main show, and it was a pretty good overview of his work over the years. The catalog is particularly good, heavily subsidized, and well worth owning if you enjoy his work.

Two of the sixth floor pieces I enjoyed: "Belts" http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/2007/serra/flash.html

and V+5.

MOMA's online presentation is superb -- one of the best I've seen in aid of an exhibition.

It was very nice meeting and chatting with you Jane.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:33 am

The MOMA website is impressive. I watched some of the video of the installation of the giant sculptures in the sculpture garden. Thanks for the link.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:23 pm

Can anyone help me with the pronunciation of the word 'Smaragd'? I've never heard it spoken and would be afraid to say it out loud myself.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:05 pm

Robin had a try at this and some other Austrian words here, Jenise. I used his notes speaking with an Austrian wine lover and wasn't laughed out of the conversation, at least my pronunciation for that word. :)

What did you think of MOMA's salad?

Regards, Bob
Last edited by Bob Ross on Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:08 am

Jenise wrote:Can anyone help me with the pronunciation of the word 'Smaragd'? I've never heard it spoken and would be afraid to say it out loud myself.

Jenise, IIRC no less an authority than Michael Pronay has stated that, contrary to my expectations, the "sm" at the beginning is pronounced much as it is in English, making the whole word sound a bit like "smarakt."

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

robs_r

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:31 am

by robs_r » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:56 am

Hi Jenise!

I can confirm what Mark said. In Robin's guide the "Sm" is pronounced like "Shm". this is not correct. It is exactly pronounced like the English "sm".

The "a" vowel is very open: [sma'rakt].

Not sure if this makes it any clearer :?

Regards, Robert
Robert Ruzitschka
Vienna, Austria
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:18 am

robs_r wrote:Hi Jenise!

I can confirm what Mark said. In Robin's guide the "Sm" is pronounced like "Shm". this is not correct. It is exactly pronounced like the English "sm".

Regards, Robert

Hey, Robert, good to see you here. Thanks for the confirmation. I'm always a bit hesitant to offer advice about languages other than my native one. Curiously, it's also a word in the English language, too, meaning emerald (as it does in German).

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:59 pm

robs_r wrote:It is exactly pronounced like the English "sm".

Regards, Robert

Yes, that's perfectly clear. Thanks!

Bob Ross--the salad is a very interesting concept--the egg as dressing. Very elegant and I can see where, for an egg lover (of which I'm not one, soft-yoked least of all unfortunately) it would be impeccable.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov