The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Melville Viognier Estate Verna's

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

WTN: 2006 Melville Viognier Estate Verna's

by James Dietz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:21 pm

• 2006 Melville Viognier Estate Verna's - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (6/20/2007)

Terrific nose of fruit and spice. Peach, citrus on the palate. Great acidity that made this perfect with a lunch of barley/veggie soup and salad. This is why I love Viognier. Also a great value... can be found in the $15 range. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

Re: WTN: 2006 Melville Viognier Estate Verna's

by wrcstl » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:56 am

Viognier is becoming my go to white domestic wine. Great stuff, full bodied with most not being oaked to death. Hard to pass up these wines and most are in the $15 range. As I read your TN what seems different is that I usually don't get much of an aciidic component. This is the only nit I have with this wine and it makes me wonder how they will age. I maybe just have not tried enough of them, besides, why not drink them early?
Walt
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:35 am

wrcstl wrote:As I read your TN what seems different is that I usually don't get much of an aciidic component. This is the only nit I have with this wine and it makes me wonder how they will age. I maybe just have not tried enough of them, besides, why not drink them early?
Walt

I found the acid light but the wine was not flabby. I actually liked how it wasn't teeth cleaning. Perfect acidity for a drink now wine. I don't think this wine should be laying around for more than a year or two.

Jason
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:51 pm

Who can hold on to them that long when they are so damned refreshing and tasty right now!!! :lol:
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:43 pm

James Dietz wrote:Who can hold on to them that long when they are so damned refreshing and tasty right now!!! :lol:

Had the `06 Yalumba "Y" Series Viognier whilst in Montana. I found it the usual acceptable standard. Light straw colour, nose had apricot, peach, spice, lively. On the palate, crisp, apricot, gd acidity, dryish. Liked the lemon too.
Melville is a new name to me.