The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Arrowood, Swan x 2, Fattoria Capannacce

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Arrowood, Swan x 2, Fattoria Capannacce

by Jenise » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:20 am

Over the years I've posted several TN's on the wierdness that is the 99 Arrowood Cabernet Sauvignon. Well, last weekend we opened a bottle that finally seemed to have shed the swampy flavors and actually taste like cabernet. However, the midpalate fruit dropped out during the second glass, and I suspect this wine is on a downhill path now. Drink up.

Earlier in the week we felt a need for pinot, so we popped the 2005 Swan Cuvee de Trois. This is only $23???? Red berry fruit, a little green herb in there like thyme, and something a little meaty create a surprisingly deep and complex pinot that's a lot bigger than its price tag. A bargain.

Flush with success, when we decided that our rotini with smoked pork and fennel ragu needed wine last night, I grabbed the other Swan wine that came with the Cuvee de Trois, a 2003 Zinfandel "Stellwagen Vineyard". Historically, the Stellwagen is my favorite Swan zin--it is feminine with Asian spices and fungally forest things. It's pinot-like. Well not this time out. Big, sappy sweet flavors and a hot finish. I took two sips and made a face. What's the alcohol on this, I asked? Bob peered at the bottle, "15.8." YOW.

I took a few more sips before deciding that I couldn't drink it, so off to the cellar I went for something more sedate, and I picked this Small Vineyards Import, a 2000 Poggio Crocino "Rosso della Maremma Toscana" produced and bottled by Fattoria Capannacce. I bought three bottles about three years ago, and this is the first one I opened. Too soon it turns out. Big core of fruit (but not sweet) with tons of tannins, this wine is still primary and black and inky and serious. The tannins need years yet but the fruit's there to go the distance, and this should be glorious some day, I'd guess it needs another five years, and it might have a long future beyond that. It's a blend of sangiovese, syrah and grenache.
Last edited by Jenise on Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTN: Arrowood, Swan x 2, Fattoria Capannacce

by James Dietz » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:12 pm

Haven't open the Cuvee de Trois, though it's staring at me thru the glass in the wine fridge in the kitchen right now....at this price, I need to try it....

We had the Stellwagen Zin the other night. Lorena just loved it. At the beginning, I thought it a little over-ripe, with some stewed fruit, but when we drank the last 1/2 bottle later, it had turned into something quite nice. I didn't get the alcohol, though. Maybe a bad bottle??
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:34 pm

You'll love the Trois. Get around to it.

Re the Stellwagen, whose bottle are you suggesting was bad? :) Ours had no flaws per se, it was just steroidal because of the ripeness and alcohol. This isn't what I expect from Rod Berglund and I didn't like it. We're taking it to a BBQ tonight, I'm sure it will be very popular!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:39 pm

Ok, not bad.. just not to your taste.....

I think the Zin will be a great BBQ wine!!!

Thread drift: we had the SI Cuvee, the cheap bottling, and man was that good... have you tried that???
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:18 pm

Well, the Swan was a big hit last night as predicted: big and sweet, and I made sure it wasn't the first wine drank but like the 3rd or 4th. By that time, no one was capable of tasting anything other than big or sweet. :) I, the meantime, having diverted everyone else's attention, was able to spend time with a juicy little 2003 Lemberger from Kiona Vineyards in Washington--now there's a tasty wine.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:30 pm

Jenise wrote:\I, the meantime, having diverted everyone else's attention, was able to spend time with a juicy little 2003 Lemberger from Kiona Vineyards in Washington--now there's a tasty wine.

I had no idea that Lemberger was grown in Washington state. Is it popular/common or growing in popularity or more of a quirky rariety? Does it have much of a history there?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:45 pm

Not popular here at all (I believe I've only seen it from two wineries), but hard to imagine why not after tastintg that Kiona last night. Lovely purple and red berry fruit with good acidity and structure, but not too much of anything.