The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Friday Night Wines:Argentina, Napa, Pomerol, and Portugal.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Friday Night Wines:Argentina, Napa, Pomerol, and Portugal.

by Brian K Miller » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:17 pm

Consumed with gusto at Aioli Bodega Restaurant in Davis-a fascinting range of Spanish dishes.

Achaval-Ferrar Finca Altamira 2003 Malbec. Purple. How can a wine tqaste "purple"? It just does. Not gobby fruity like I feared, and the oak is pretty restrained. I tasted blueberry and a hint of tobacco. Definitely some nice fuzzy tannins. Very popular and WOTN for several people. Purple is the new Black! My score, a solid ***

Hess Collection The Lion 2003 Sacrificed to Infanticide, but...
Probably their oakiest cab-based wine, but the fruit is still really nice and there is some lovely aromatics. The mouthfeel is also lovely, rich, but with some fine gritty tannins (which I like) ***

Chateau L'Evangile Pomerol 1999 Picked up at BevMo and not perfectly stored by your's truly :oops: Cork was completely intact but pretty well stained (no popup at the capsule, though) This was open and ready for business, though. I much preferred this to the Certan-Le-Napa (oops, Certan le May) I had earlier this Spring. Very funky when first opened, but it blew off and some nice black fruit peeped through. All the loveliness I expect from an adolescent Bordeaux-this was no longer primary fruit only, but tobacco and leather and herbs. Absolutely delicious and WOTN for me. I can't really afford to replace this bottle, but it is mighty tempting to pick up another. ****1/2

Quinta de Carolina 1999 An American couple discovered Portugal and fell in love. Much more primary fruit than the Pomerol, but this wine had layers underneath of tobacco and herbs and savoryness. Again, the oak was very restrained. Heresy as it may be, I continue to prefer rustic Portugese wines to almost every Spanish wine I've tried. Yum, and WOTN for some of my friends. (should probably have been drunk second in order. But, still lovely. Only 13% abv. ****
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: Friday Night Wines:Argentina, Napa, Pomerol, and Portugal.

by Alejandro Audisio » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:51 pm

Brian... I think you could add the 2003 Altamira to your infanticide list... :wink:
Alejandro Audisio - drink wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes!!!
ITB in Buenos Aires, Argentina
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:11 pm

OK, Alejandro. I'll keep that in mind.

I am very unfamiliar with Malbec, and I've read that Malbecs were supposed to be a drink young wine? Maybe that's only for the basic level Malbecs? This was fairly pricey, if I recall.

Even so, I still enjoyed it quite a bit. I would buy it again, for sure.

I don't regret opening the L'Evangile at all, though. Even at only 8 years old, it was pretty funky and complex. It was READY!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:20 pm

Brian, you are hereby christened a "Malbec Hound" (if not already).
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:03 pm

Brian,

I guess its fair to say that the bulk of the Malbecs that are exported are meant to be drunk fairly young. However, the best Malbecs will need a good few years in the cellar. The single vineyard Achaval Ferrer wines (the Altamira is one of them) is one of the top 10 cult labels from Argentina. While you can get a fair amount of enjoyment from them at a relatively young age, to do that you will usually need to double decant them for 4-5 hours...

In my experiene, a wine like the Altamira will benefit from a good 7-8 years in the cellar before it approaches its peak drinking plateau.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:12 pm

Alejandro Audisio wrote:Brian... I think you could add the 2003 Altamira to your infanticide list... :wink:

Brian, infanticide? I am about to join you as I open the `02 Acrux Malbec!!
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:43 pm

Thanks, Alejandro. If I run across this again, maybe I'll do just that!
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:11 am

Bob, your A Crux will be more approachable that the Altamira, so I think you will be spared the infanticide charge...

:lol: