The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Schloss Gobelsberg Grüner Veltiner Langenlois Austria.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 2006 Schloss Gobelsberg Grüner Veltiner Langenlois Austria.

by Bob Ross » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:13 pm

2006 Schloss Gobelsberg Grüner Veltiner Langenlois Austria. 12.5% alcohol; screwcap. $13.99 from Chambers Street Wines. Terry Theise Estate Selection; Imported by Michael Skurnik Wines, Syosset, NY.

Light yellow color, clear hue, pretty floral and earth aromas, a bit restrained, very good fruit and spice with earth and mushroom notes, mild acidity, perhaps a bit too soft, good sharp finish. Lovely with broiled trout on spinach and green beans with roasted sliced almonds. 3*.

Notes: Winery: http://www.schloss-gobelsburg.at

Wine Diary: Some notes on another wine and an interesting note about the winery and its history:

1999 Schloss Gobelsburg Zweigelt Langenlois Austria. 12.5% alcohol. $14.00. Chambers. Callahan: “medium-sized red with a gentle structure and round fruit. Good example of zweigelt. Organic.” Clarke: High-yielding and important Austrian grape developed by a Dr Zweigelt in 1922. It needs vigorous pruning to bring out all its cherry fruit but some good-quality examples exist. The very early history of the castle Gobelsburg and its vineyards is an unwritten story as with many similar estates in Austria. Archeological excavations in one of our vineyards (Grub) and at the occasion of a major extension of the chateau's vaults have released many traces of settlements in eolithic, bronze and iron age, the Roman empire and early medieval periods. Pretty ruby color with flecks of pink, deep hue, remarkable aroma and taste, quite distinctive and long lasting, great spice notes, over-all impression of cherries. Lovely wine, and Janet liked it too. 4*.

Lyle Fass: Nice classis Gruner Veltiner with mushroom and pepper notes. Ripe as the vintage dictates bit lovely purity and texture.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2006 Schloss Gobelsberg Grüner Veltiner Langenlois Austria.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:04 am

Thanks for posting this one. I have my eye on a couple of new arrival Gobelsberg wines up here, Bob.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:01 am

Bob Ross wrote:2006 Schloss Gobelsberg Grüner Veltiner Langenlois Austria. 12.5% alcohol; screwcap. $13.99 from Chambers Street Wines. Terry Theise Estate Selection; Imported by Michael Skurnik Wines, Syosset, NY.

Light yellow color, clear hue, pretty floral and earth aromas, a bit restrained, very good fruit and spice with earth and mushroom notes, mild acidity, perhaps a bit too soft, good sharp finish. Lovely with broiled trout on spinach and green beans with roasted sliced almonds. 3*.

We also had a bottle of this recently, Bob, and my impressions were a bit more positive than yours. Keep in mind that this is essentially an "entry level" GV, and to me it was richer than I had any right to expect. I also got a bit more acid than you did (which is a Good Thing in my book). In fact, in reading your notes, I see a bit of a contradiction between the "mild acidity" and "good sharp finish." Were you perhaps judging the acidity in light of other GVs you've had? I also found in this wine a hint of the honey notes that usually only show up for me in Smaragd bottlings from the Wachau.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:09 am

It was an odd dichotomy, Mark. In my mouth, the acidity seemed a little flabby, but the finish was pure and clear, and I thought the finish was very good. In fact, with food, the acidity worked well enough -- it was only when I had the wine alone later that I didn't care so much for the cut of the wine.

But the finish gave me an impression of very pure acidity.

I'm floundering a bit to describe my experience -- I'm sure it's not comparison with other G.V. wines because I've just started drinking whites with any seriousness, and I had no expectations at all.

There was a floral note, which might have had some honey notes, had I more experience with this wine. I'll try to parse that out next time.

Regards, Bob