The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Decanting Question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Decanting Question

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:17 pm

Can any young, red wine benefit from decanting? I bought a 2005 Graham Beck Gamekeepers Reserve Cab to go w/ our buffalo and london broil tonight, and I was thinking about decanting it since it's so young.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Decanting Question

by Rahsaan » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:53 pm

K Story wrote:Can any young, red wine benefit from decanting?

I don't know this wine in question but would definitely say that not all young red wines benefit from decanting.

Since it's a cabernet and may have tannic structure then perhaps it would benefit from air to soften the structure. But so much new world cabernet is soft so then maybe not.

So, I guess you'll just have to wait for someone with real info :D
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:02 pm

We decant all but the very lightest reds such as Beaujolais. We would definitely decant this one if only for a half and hour or less.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:04 pm

I tried the 2004 version -- it was an easy-to-drink style of wine. If you decant an hour ahead of time, you should be fine.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:22 pm

K, one thing you can do to hedge your bets: Decant, and pour a bit more into a wine glass. Taste it now. In half an hour or an hour, taste it again. And so on. When you like where it is, pour it back in the bottle and cork until dinner time.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:31 pm

Thanks, all! I'll give it a shot an hour before dinner and test it again about 1/2 hour out.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt