The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Let me tell you about heaven . . .

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Let me tell you about heaven . . .

by Florida Jim » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:46 pm

So, we roll out of Florida early on Friday, stop along the way at friend’s house in SC and arrive in the western mountains of NC about mid-day on Sunday. A bit of lunch with wine and my wife, glass in hand, is off to dig in the dirt. And I can see three days of making the lawn, grounds and environs more suitable. Let me tell you about heaven . . .

Along the way:

2006 Laxas, Albariño:
Smells acidic, tastes sour and really never comes around over the course of the evening. There are so many better Albariños out there that this isn’t worth a tumble. 12.5% alcohol and about $12; I’d not buy it again.

2005 Phillip Faury, St. Joseph:
This is Côte-Rôtie with slightly less finesse; a truly wonderful, fruit filled delivery (which I think will recede shortly) and a broad, deep, powerful structure that will support this wine’s fruit for a decade at least; maximum complexity for the appellation and excellent length. Drink today for its wonderful, baby fat fruit but, once this closes down, be prepared to wait 5-7 years for its re-emergence. A terrific wine! 12.8% alcohol and about $25; stealing at that price.

2006 Edmunds St. John, Gamay Noir Rosé Bone-Jolly:
We left our place in NC at the end of April, fully intending to return within ten days. But things got out of hand and we didn’t get back for two months. I had left half a bottle of this wine (under screw cap) in the refrigerator and when we returned I thought for sure it was DOA. Wrong!
It’s not like opening a fresh bottle but it has great strawberry scents, plenty of cut and vibrant fruit on the palate – after two months in the fridge! I spoke to Steve about it and he opined that the CO2 it was bottled with coupled with how fresh it was at bottling was responsible for this amazing feat. No matter; for those of you with this wine in your cellar: it will take the worst you have to give and deliver that exquisite dry rosé wine you bought to begin with. What a wine; 13.2% alcohol and about $17; more than worth the price.

2006 Dry Stack Cellars, Sauvignon Blanc Rosemary’s Vineyard:
Although I tasted this out of barrel and decided immediately to buy a case, I had not tasted it since it got bottled. But a case had arrived in NC and when we got here, we opened a bottle with lunch. Lots of grapefruit scents on the nose but this has real viscosity on the palate with pineapple and mango flavors added to the grapefruit tones, good cut, plenty of staying power and a nice, mouthwatering finish. My favorite sauvignon blanc produced from . . . well, anywhere. ‘Terrific wine that I will consume over the next twelve months. 14.1% alcohol and about $20; I bought plenty.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: WTN: Let me tell you about heaven . . .

by Randy Buckner » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:00 pm

2006 Laxas, Albariño:
Smells acidic, tastes sour and really never comes around over the course of the evening. There are so many better Albariños out there that this isn’t worth a tumble. 12.5% alcohol and about $12; I’d not buy it again.

We had an entirely different take on the wine:

2006 Laxas, Albariño, Rias Baixas, Spain, $16. The color is a delightful pale lemon with a green sheen, which leads to lemony aromas as well, underscored by nuances of nectarines and herbs. Clean and crisp on the palate, this refreshing wine delivers what the nose promises. Pair with grilled seafood; 90/90.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:04 pm

Randy,
Thanks for posting.
Folks should see just how far apart tasters can be so they can make their own decision.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:21 pm

Speaking of Albariños, has anyone tried D. Pedro De Soutomaior Albariño? We had it at a tasting and bought a bottle. Now this is the only Albariño that we've had, so I have nothing to compare to. I don't take notes so this is what I remember. It was extremely acidic, but not unpleasantly so. It was lemony, tangy and mouth-wateringly appealing. I can't remember what we had it with, but it was absolutely delightful. We have since gotten 2 more bottles ($15.25).
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:33 pm

One critic gave the 2005 an 82, FWIW Linda.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:58 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:One critic gave the 2005 an 82, FWIW Linda.

Thanks Randy. Even though that critic apparently thought it was "so-so", I thought it was great. Jim is right about how varied people's perception of the same wine can be.

I always say eat and drink what you like and never apologize for it!
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:10 pm

I always say eat and drink what you like and never apologize for it!

A good philosophy to follow. There are always the wine snobs to tell us the errors of our ways, but as Jim wisely stated, tasters can vary widely.

I usually find myself in agreement with Jim's posts, and he has turned me on to some fine wines. We either have bottle variation or stylistic differences going on with this bottling.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:51 am

Florida Jim wrote:
2006 Edmunds St. John, Gamay Noir Rosé Bone-Jolly:
I had left half a bottle of this wine (under screw cap) in the refrigerator and when we returned I thought for sure it was DOA. Wrong!
It’s not like opening a fresh bottle but it has great strawberry scents, plenty of cut and vibrant fruit on the palate – after two months in the fridge!

Best, Jim

Jim, showing my ignorance here I'm afraid, but I would have thought that keeping the wine in the fridge for two months would be like keeping it in a very cold cellar - good to keep the freshness of the fruit. Obviously I am missing something. Why would a wine, kept in a refrigerator, deteriorate faster than one kept, say, in a basement?
-OW
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:55 am

OW Holmes wrote:Obviously I am missing something. Why would a wine, kept in a refrigerator, deteriorate faster than one kept, say, in a basement?

I think he left an already opened and half-empty bottle in the refrigerator for two months.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:02 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
OW Holmes wrote:Obviously I am missing something. Why would a wine, kept in a refrigerator, deteriorate faster than one kept, say, in a basement?

I think he left an already opened and half-empty bottle in the refrigerator for two months.

Ahhh... That would explain it. I missed that.
-OW