The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mulderbosch Cabernet Sauvignon Rose 2006

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

WTN: Mulderbosch Cabernet Sauvignon Rose 2006

by Hoke » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:36 pm

Such a pretty wine. And the vertical strip label allows the pretty in pink to show through too.

Not bodacious, but pleasant and balanced, as I think a good rose should be, the Mulderbosch is great on a warm and breezy summer afternoon with warm mushroom tarts, hummus and red peppers, and green olive tapenade.

Not too shabby with marinated grilled chicken, sauteed mushrooms and fresh green beans, and roasted then grilled fingerling potatoes either!

Tart berry fruit, very little tannins to give bitterness, and a good strong consistent flavor line throughout, this is a sturdy performer in the rose camp, and a steal at about $8!

Curiously, even though the Mulderbosch Sauvignon Blanc (another stunner) is in screwcap, this CS Rose is still in cork. And a composite cork at that!?! What's up with that?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Mulderbosch Cabernet Sauvignon Rose 2006

by Jenise » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:28 am

Strange about the corks. But thanks for the report on this wine, I'm a Muldy fan but I did not care much for the cab rose in the one vintage I had a couple years ago, it wasn't as dry as I liked and I might have hesitated to try again.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:26 am

Hoke wrote:Tart berry fruit, very little tannins to give bitterness, and a good strong consistent flavor line throughout, this is a sturdy performer in the rose camp, and a steal at about $8!

I tasted the 2006 Mulderbosch Cabernet Sauvignon Rose last week, and it is quite delicious. I first discovered this wine 1-2 vintages ago, and I always make it a point to purchase some of it.

However, I have never seen this wine for under $12. If you are getting it for something close to $8, that certainly is a real steal. :shock:

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:31 pm

Clark:

I have a good local shop with a vast and varied selection that has a minimal mark up policy.

It's Bottle Barn in Santa Rosa. They have a website. And they ship.

I also thought I'd paid more in the past for the rose, but, hey, I was happy to get it at that price. I remember it because before serving I had to scrape off the price sticker. :)
no avatar
User

Jake Parrott

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:27 pm

Bristow, VA

by Jake Parrott » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:39 pm

Chances are it's time to get rid of it. Our 2007 cab rose (from Avondale) just hit the dock.
Jake Parrott
The Wild Grape, LLC
Importing small-production wines from South Africa.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:45 pm

Hey, Jake!

Thought of you last week. Had occasion to taste a preview sample, at barrel proof, of what will eventually be the Old Forester Birthday.

Heads up: it's pretty incredible stuff. Plan on stocking up. The rye aromatics are incredible, and you're gonna love it.
no avatar
User

Jake Parrott

Rank

Wine geek

Bristow, VA

by Jake Parrott » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:27 pm

Hoke wrote:Hey, Jake!

Thought of you last week. Had occasion to taste a preview sample, at barrel proof, of what will eventually be the Old Forester Birthday.

Heads up: it's pretty incredible stuff. Plan on stocking up. The rye aromatics are incredible, and you're gonna love it.
If it's so great, bottle it at barrel proof.
Jake Parrott
The Wild Grape, LLC
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:09 pm

Jake Parrott wrote:
Hoke wrote:Hey, Jake!

If it's so great, bottle it at barrel proof.

Kind of a small market out there for proofs over 150.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:31 pm

Sounds really nice, Hoke. I found it advertised on Winesearcher.com for $9.99 and have contacted the merchant about ordering three bottles.

In the meantime, your food suggestions are making me very hungry!
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Jake Parrott

Rank

Wine geek

Bristow, VA

by Jake Parrott » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:11 am

Hoke wrote:
Jake Parrott wrote:
Hoke wrote:Kind of a small market out there for proofs over 150.
I seriously doubt it's over 150. Even the most HazMat Staggs have only been 141. Why sell water? (Rhetorical question :) )

Thread drift! Sorry :).
Jake Parrott
The Wild Grape, LLC
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:55 pm

ClarkDGigHbr wrote:
Hoke wrote:Tart berry fruit, very little tannins to give bitterness, and a good strong consistent flavor line throughout, this is a sturdy performer in the rose camp, and a steal at about $8!

I tasted the 2006 Mulderbosch Cabernet Sauvignon Rose last week, and it is quite delicious. I first discovered this wine 1-2 vintages ago, and I always make it a point to purchase some of it.

However, I have never seen this wine for under $12. If you are getting it for something close to $8, that certainly is a real steal. :shock:

-- Clark

Here in Alberta, $18 Cdn is what I just paid.

edit....came home from the Austria v. Czech game (U 20 FIFA World Cup) and just opened this pinkie. Pretty tasty eh. Will add some thoughts on Wine Focus.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:07 pm

Oh, should add.....English referee. Good job!!