The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Odisea Angele 2006

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

WTN: Odisea Angele 2006

by Hoke » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:51 pm

Curious little wine.

Well, maybe I should say curious big wine.

Apparently this is some sort of labor of love from the Central Coast by two wine guys. Only 60 cases produced, but my local wine and everything else store had some, so we tried it.

Purportedly 100% Grenache Blanc. Lots of white peaches in the nose and on the palate. Bit of an alcohol burn (but you think I wouldn't notice these days if the alc is showing only around 14%). Not terribly complex and not terribly structured: more a generally plump, slightly candied over, ripe fruit blob that needs some acidity and structure.

Pleasant enough withal, but it certainly didn't rise much above that level. Of course, since it followed a Sauvignon Blanc-like Collio Pinot Grigio rampant with acidity and lively flavors, it might have been at a disadvantage...but I don't think so. I think it would've fared about the same.

By the way, the Odisea, as the back label tells us, is meant to harken back to the Greek Homeric idea of an odyssey, a journey of discovery. I'm glad I took the journey, but I can't say I discovered all that much.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: Odisea Angele 2006

by JC (NC) » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:43 pm

Maybe it was an odyssey/journey to your angelic side.