The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Katnook Odyssey, Firriato Santagostino, Don Melchor

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Katnook Odyssey, Firriato Santagostino, Don Melchor

by Jay Labrador » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:20 am

Short notes from a dinner at Mezzaluna with Johnny, Arnie and Helen

Katnook Odyssey Cabernet Sauvignon Coonawarra 1999 - Very dark. Full bodied with lots of concentrated fruit preserve character although not really all that sweet. Smooth. Caramel, coffee. Candyish finish. Good wine but nicer with food.

Firriato Santagostino Nero d'Avola/Syrah Sicily 2003 - Leather at first and just below that, sulfur that stayed throughout our drinking the wine. Berry, dried fruit and dried herbs. Dryish finish.Very flavorful, gutsy wine. Went very nicely with the lamb.

Don Melchor Cabernet Sauvignon 2002 - Creamy oak. Lots of sweet fruit. Medium bodied. Initially smooth but airing brings out the tannins. Plum and tobacco. Nicely balanced and ready to drink. Very forward wine. Very good
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Katnook Odyssey, Firriato Santagostino, Don Melchor

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:42 am

Nice notes on some wines available over here/up here!!! Food sounds great too, need to buy some lamb today.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:48 am

I spent the good part of a day at Katnook. I was impressed with their operation and their wines across the board.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:06 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:I spent the good part of a day at Katnook. I was impressed with their operation and their wines across the board.

Ditto, but make that "unimpressed". Found the wines highly extracted and jammy across the board. I presumed that was the house style and have avoided them ever since. Something must have changed since '98.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:16 pm

hat may be because viticulturist Chris Brodie joined their team in 1997. He is fascinating to listen to, and he tends the grapes like a mother hen. A most delightful chap.