The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: D. Wachau Terrassen Riesling Smaragd '05, Ferreira '82

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: D. Wachau Terrassen Riesling Smaragd '05, Ferreira '82

by Saina » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:39 pm

Tonight I had a visitor from Turkey and we drunk a few nice wines:

Domäne Freie Weingärtner Wachau Riesling Smaragd Terrassen 2005 Niederösterreich, Wachau 13%

A cool and floral nose with great ripeness. The palate has lots of fruit and minerals and though well balanced from acidity isn't as racy as I would have hoped. Still a very nice wine - even more so taking into account the price (13,25€).

Ferreira Porto Vintage 1982

Healthy, but mature colour. The nose is a bit spicy and on the sweeter end of the typical Port spectrum. There are some delightful aged and citrussy characteristics - though not very complex, it is great fun to sniff just now. The palate is very sweet, plummy and at a delightful stage of maturity for my tastes: there is good structure and good fruit but nothing shows dominant. Nice now, will surely last some time still. Upon decanting was showing very nicely. 1h later, the alcohol was showing a bit strongly. 7h after decanting the alcohol was integrated. 10h decanting we finished the last drops and it was showing no signs of improvement nor decline.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.