The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Japanese Beetles Prefer Barbera Vines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Japanese Beetles Prefer Barbera Vines

by Brian Gilp » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:19 pm

Found this odd and maybe there are other reasons related to the size of the vines or their locations within the vineyard but there seems to be fairly noticeable preferences among my Japanese beetle invaders. Far and away their favorite vines are the Barbera. This could be because they are second year vines and thus bigger than all the other vines which are first year. However, preferences among other vines are not as easily explained. The preference for the Aglianico may be because it is planted next to the Barbera. However in other cases the beetles will park on one two rows (Petit Verdot) largely skip two rows (Cab Franc) and then munch down on the next two row (Cab Sauv). It is actually quite interesting. Not sure if there is any real study on the issue or not. Just from my observations the preference in my vineyard would follow something like this.

1. Barbera
2. Aglianico
3. Cab Sauv
4. Petit Verdot
5. Sangio (Clone 12)
6. Sangio (Clone 7)

Note actually a big difference here between the clones and the break between those that are seeing significant attack (clone 12) and those that are not (clone 7).

7. Cab Franc
8. Syrah
9. Tannat
no avatar
User

Alan A.

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:22 pm

Being blue deep within a red state.

Re: Japanese Beetles Prefer Barbera Vines

by Alan A. » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:00 am

Seems the critters have a preference for my Norton vines. I've also notice some nibbles on my Concord and Catawba. They don't seem to like the Vidal, Chambourcin, or Traminette. The JBs here in the east must have a developed a taste for 100% American grapes.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Brian...Coupla ???'s

by TomHill » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:21 am

Brian,
Where is your vnyd located?? How big is it?? Where do the grapes go, or will they go??
Not a whole lot of Aglianico or Tannat out there.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Re: Brian...Coupla ???'s

by Brian Gilp » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:47 am

The vineyard is a small and on my property. 225 vines total (25 vines per variety). I am located in Maryland about 40 miles south of DC and half way between the Bay and the Potomac. Hot and humid with 3700 degree days and 40 inches of rain on average. No real viticultural history in these parts hence the wide variety of vines. trying to see what will work.

The Tannat was planted based upon the relative success that Dennis Horton had with it and recommendations of others in VA.

Aglianico is just a shot in the dark. Believe I have the only vines in the state. The heat should not be a problem. Not sure if I keep it from rotting.

All the grapes are for my own home production.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Thanks...

by TomHill » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:19 pm

Thanks for the details on what you're doing, Brian. Sounds a bit like a passion run amok to me.
Tom
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

Re: Thanks...

by Alan Wolfe » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:29 pm

Funny, my Japanese Beetles seem to prefer Chambourcin to Norton/Foch/Seyval/Vignoles. 'Course they're West Virginia Japanese Beetles.
no avatar
User

Alan A.

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:22 pm

Being blue deep within a red state.

Re: Thanks...

by Alan A. » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:16 pm

Alan Wolfe wrote:Funny, my Japanese Beetles seem to prefer Chambourcin to Norton/Foch/Seyval/Vignoles. 'Course they're West Virginia Japanese Beetles.

Hmmmm, must be a regional thing, me being in No. Bama.