The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: disappointing Loire rose

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: disappointing Loire rose

by Dale Williams » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:35 am

We intended to go to the river for a jazz concert last night, but afternoon thunderstorms pushed the concert into the community center. By concert time skies had cleared, but set up was inside, and we decided to skip. So ate our picnic (leftover ribs, jicama slaw, proscuitto, figs,and cheese) on our patio. Wine was the 2006 Bernard Baudry Chinon Rosé. I had liked previous vintages of this, but this one left me perplexed. Good acidity, but nonetheless the strawberry fruit seemed dull and leaden. Little hints of oregano-y herb and mineral, but the lackluster feeling doesn't go away. I'd be interested if anyone else has tried this. There was one fleeting moment I thought I got moldy notes, but couldn't recreate. I do wonder if it this wine might have been corked just under my TCA perception threshold. If this is a non-flawed bottle, B-/C+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency