The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Tips on visiting Missouri wine country

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Tips on visiting Missouri wine country

by Paul B. » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:18 pm

I have been mulling over visiting Missouri's wine country. Missouri, being home to Norton/Cynthiana, must surely be a hotspot on the list of any Nortoniac. I am also intrigued by the decidedly Germanic flavour of the wine scene in Missouri, and its history.

I just have a couple of questions:

* What is the best season to visit: spring or autumn?
* Which city in Missouri would be the best "hub", if you will, that would allow the most direct access to as many wineries as possible?

Of course I'd be looking at the cooler seasons of the year, since who wants to lug wine around in the car in the sweltering heat of summer.

Any suggestions and personal experiences would be most appreciated.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: Tips on visiting Missouri wine country

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:33 pm

Paul,
Though it doesn't address your questions directly, the best advice/report I've read came from Jason Tesauro some years ago

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:46 pm

That was a wonderful read, Mark. Thanks for posting it.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:58 pm

Hi Paul, here’s a link that I think you might find interesting,
http://www.pebblepublishing.com/explori ... ountry.htm

Salute

Sorry Mark I read your link after posting.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:50 pm

Paul B. wrote:That was a wonderful read, Mark. Thanks for posting it.

No problem, Paul. It stuck in my memory for exactly that reason: it was one of the wittiest, most informative posts I've ever read, especially on the "boutique" topic of Missouri wineries. My only caution is that the information presented is now 7 years out of date, and I have no idea how much things may have changed in the interim. It makes a decent starting point, at the very least.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

My Suggestions...

by TomHill » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:59 am

Paul,
Though I've not toured Missouri wine country very extensively; I would suggest either Spring or late Fall (after most of crush is completed, October time frame) when the winemakers would have more time to talk w/ you. And, just eyeballing the map, StLouis is a much better city to base your journey from. Maybe Columbia.
Don't forget to take your unicycle and propeller beanie. The StLouis Post-Dispatch would LOVE to run that pix on their front page!!!
Tom
no avatar
User

Kevin C

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:14 pm

Broussard, LA

by Kevin C » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:06 pm

My son recently graduated from Army Basic Training at Fort Leonard Wood. We attended and stayed in Rolla, about midway between Springfield and St Louis. There were several wineries in the area, including a few with tasting rooms right off of the interstate. There are also some great cavern and caves in that area
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:43 pm

Thanks to everyone. It is quite exciting to think that all those wineries producing Cynthiana and Norton would be within reach. Blumenhof would be my #1 spot to visit, simply because I tried the '99 Blumenhof Cynthiana at MoCool and was blown away by the intense wildness of the wine and its supple structure. Had a glass of it with the lamb that was served that year and it was unspeakably fantastic!
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

Re: My Suggestions...

by Paul B. » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:27 pm

TomHill wrote:Don't forget to take your unicycle and propeller beanie. The StLouis Post-Dispatch would LOVE to run that pix on their front page!!!
Tom

Tom, it's fitting that you remind me of that. Just today I was driving home and saw the funniest thing: there was this guy about 45 I'd say. He was on roller skates, had a helmet on and was pushing a shopping cart . . . what he used for brakes I have no idea. I last saw him starting to go downhill, but then I had to turn onto the next street and missed any potential drama. It was quite the sight ... :D