The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2 Buck chuck

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

2 Buck chuck

by Alan Wolfe » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:27 pm

2 Buck Chuck Chardonnay wins two gold medals and best Chardonnay at any price in California wine competition. Hard to believe. Anyone care to comment?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: 2 Buck chuck

by Jenise » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:49 pm

No 2BC Chardonnay I've ever had could possibly pull off that feat unless it were the only entrant.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Alan A.

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:22 pm

Being blue deep within a red state.

by Alan A. » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:50 pm

Alan Wolfe wrote:2 Buck Chuck Chardonnay wins two gold medals and best Chardonnay at any price in California wine competition. Hard to believe. Anyone care to comment?

Gotta linky?
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:11 pm

Anyone care to comment?

It is what it is -- no bias. That said, have you ever sat on a panel judging 200+ chardonnays under ten bucks? Horrors...
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:09 pm

Alan Wolfe wrote:2 Buck Chuck Chardonnay wins two gold medals and best Chardonnay at any price in California wine competition. Hard to believe. Anyone care to comment?

Bear in mind that Two Buck Chuck is bulk wine, acquired in lots and bottled in batches. Any two given bottles may come from completely different sources. I've had at least one of their Chards that was surprisingly good, others that, as Jenise says, were ... meh.

Does anyone here believe that Franzia would be above entering a particularly good sample in competition?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:29 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Bear in mind that Two Buck Chuck is bulk wine, acquired in lots and bottled in batches. Any two given bottles may come from completely different sources. I've had at least one of their Chards that was surprisingly good, others that, as Jenise says, were ... meh.

Does anyone here believe that Franzia would be above entering a particularly good sample in competition?

Don't know about Fred but I do know that I also had a surprisingly good bottle of 2BC chardonnay. That was the first wine I had tried from that line and it left me thinking they might be on to something. Since then, I've had their chard three or four times and it's been uniformly awful.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:36 pm

I had a similar question to Alan Wolfe's regarding an award-winning Delicato Syrah. It was pleasant and good QPR (although I didn't find it to have much Syrah typicity) but not THAT good to be judged best California Syrah. Then I realized that maybe it was only being judged against other entrants that were labeled "California" rather than by AVA such as Napa or Sonoma or Paso Robles, etc.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:21 pm

[quote="[/quote]

Does anyone here believe that Franzia would be above entering a particularly good sample in competition?[/quote]

Oh Robin! Ye of little faith. Franzia do something like that? Next you'll tell me there is no Easter Bunny.