The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mostly New Calif Burgs...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Mostly New Calif Burgs...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:51 pm

We tasted the other week (6/20/07) Some Calif Burgundies:
1. HubertLignier AC: Bourgogne Aligote (12.5%) 2004: Med.gold color; some stoney/earthy
slight damp basement slight floral/green apple pleasant nose; very tart/lean green
apple/spicy earthy/damp basement flavor; very tart/lean bit thin somewhat earthy/stoney
slight floral/green apple finish; bit on the schreechy/acid side. $18.00
lush/green apple flavor; med.long tart/acid bit smokey/minerally green apple finish;
high acidity but an overlying lushness; maybe best Aligote I've ever had. $22.50
pencilly/oak some spicy/nutmeg flavor; very long light pencilly/oak spicy/floral/ripe/
melony/Chard finish; a beautiful balanced/spicy very perfumed Chard at a more than fair
price. $40.00
charred/oak ripe/melony/Chard very spicy finish; lots of oak but plenty of spicy Chard
fruit to support it; very structured and should go 10 yrs. $48.00
some minerally light butterscotchy/oak flavor; med. tart/green apple apple pie/ripe/
melony/Chard bit yeasty some butterscotchy/oak finish; an interesting lean/crisp yet
rich very spicy Chard at a more than fair price. $40.50
flavor; very long rich/lush tart ripe/melony/Chard some toasty/smokey/Fr.oak ripe/
melon/honeydew/Chard quite spicy finish; will age well for 2-5 yrs; a lovely fairly
oaked Chard w/ plenty of spicy/melony fruit to back it up; good value at $35.00
long bright cherry/black cherry/Pinot smooth/polished/elegant some pencilly/toasty/oak
finish w/ some tannins; needs several yrs; quite a lovely Pinot, though not that
expressive of SonomaCoast, at a stupid price. No regrets on passing on the RRV. $84.00
perfumed/black cherry cola light toasty/oak flavor; very long cold-climate/peppery/spicy
lush black cherry/cherry/cola/PN very spicy light toasty/oak finish w/ some tannins;
needs several yrs; a beautiful Pinot quite expressive of SonomaCoast; fairly priced at
$50.00
smokey/Fr.oak bit earthy flavor; very long black cherry/PN/cola some taosty/smokey/Fr.oak
finish w/ some tannins; needs 2-5 yrs; loads of that BienNacido black cherry terroir;
good price at $37.00
rather toasty/Fr.oak flavor; very long/lingering huge/black cherry/blackberry/PN some
toasty/charred/Fr.oak Burgundian finish w/ fair tannins; needs 2-7 yrs; big huge PN fruit
wine w/ fair charred/toasty/oak; rather Burgundian in style. $46.00
smokey/oak high-toned/elegant flavor; very long spicy/bright cherry/black cherry/PN
light toasty/oak finish w/ some tannins; more bright fruit & more balance than the other
two; a lovely Pinot. $46.00
We'll probably continue to try what shows up her in NM, but nobody in my group is
buying them to drink. So sad.
3. Radio-Coteau: This was my first R-C Chard ever. I had very high expectations for this wine;
it did not let me down. I've not been all that impressed with AndersonVlly Chards.
Given the right winemaker, the can grow Chard as good as any in Calif I would say.
from their estate way out on the SonomaCoast, reminds me a lot of some of the Hanzell
Chards, which age amazingly well.
my favorites. The Pinots are pretty big, but never over the top. One of Calif's top
winemakers, but he keeps such a low profile that he doesn't get a lot of press. He'd
much rather be hanging w/ his family than schmoozing up customers. BobLindquist refers
to him as an "anti-marketing" guy. Fortunately, the quality of his wines are such that
he doesn't have to do much marketing. A wnry I've followed from the very start in 1982,
when he was making wine up in Mary Vigorossa's barn in LosAlamos (the other one).
TomHill
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: WTN: Mostly New Calif Burgs...(long/boring)

by Hoke » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:36 pm

14 wines, and not a single Calif Burg in the bunch?

False advertising! Bait and switch!!
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

Re: WTN: Mostly New Calif Burgs...(long/boring)

by Dan Donahue » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:21 pm

Tom, thanks for the notes; I'd rather not open the '05s yet.

The K-B is of course much cheaper on the mailing list, although I'm not sure how much longer that will last. And the last retail offer I got for the SC was at $135.

I had a chance to try the Alcina with Greg at an off-line this spring. It was very good, but Greg insists that his '06s are even better. He also sang the praises (shocking for such a shy man) of his Pets in the pipeline.
Je ne peux pas le faire