The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Open mike: Zweigelt

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Open mike: Zweigelt

by Saina » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:42 pm

Any interest in such? I've liked the few I've had and would like to explore further. I know there are fans of Austrian reds here, so maybe you can all help me gain further understanding of the grape?

During the weekend (possibly already tomorrow) I will open Sepp Moser's Hedwighof Zweigelt 2004 from Neusiedlersee, Apetlon.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: Open mike: Zweigelt

by Paul B. » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:39 pm

Otto, I have a big-time interest in Austrian (and Central European in general) reds, including Zweigelt - though I must say that Zweigelt has been rare of late at Vintages. I think they are just now featuring a Lenz Moser example, but that's not one of my favourite producers. I have to check and see if Pelee Island is still making a Zweigelt here in Ontario. It's a rare grape, but I think it could easily work in our climate.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:54 am

Otto, there was some on the shelves but its all gone I think. Maybe Mike B knows where there is some, he`s handy to have around here!
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:55 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:Any interest in such? I've liked the few I've had and would like to explore further. I know there are fans of Austrian reds here, so maybe you can all help me gain further understanding of the grape?

Otto, Believe it or not, someone is growing Zweigelt in New Zealand. The winemaker, Hermann Seifried, from Seifried Wines, is Austrian but the wine is called 'Sylvia' - perhaps because Zweigelt is too difficult for us kiwis to pronounce.
I've found it to be a medium-bodied red with an earthy tone throughout, not overly exciting I have to confess. I've not tasted the latest which a magazine has given a four star rating to.
Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:33 pm

Overall, I kind of concur with Sue - although I have never of course tried a NZ-grown Zweigelt. Personally I believe Blaufränkisch to make more interesting wines than Zweigelt, though I have had Zweigelt from Joseph's Estate in Niagara-on-the-Lake that has been nicely peppery in flavour ... just as I've had examples from Austria that were without any discernible character.

Blaufränkisch (better known in North America as Lemberger, though I prefer the Austrian name personally) perhaps makes less coloured but more spicy, hard acidic reds in Austria compared to Zweigelt.

I believe I read some time back that Zweigelt was bred with certain qualities in mind, and that Blaufränkisch was one of its parents.
no avatar
User

robs_r

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:31 am

by robs_r » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:34 pm

Hi Paul!

Zweigelt is a crossing of St. Laurent and Blaufränkisch, so your recollection is accurate. Zwiegelt was kind of infamous for overcropping, that's why it has a kind of bad reputation, even here in Austria. Actually, I hardly drink it.
Something that has to be changed.

Regards, robert
Robert Ruzitschka
Vienna, Austria
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:40 pm

Robert, thanks for the history of the grape. Tonight I'm drinking this:

Sepp Moser Zweigelt Hedwighof 2004 20,60€ (imported by Tampereen Viinitukku, who have very high prices - even by Finnish standards) 13%abv

Dark, a little purplish. The nose is a bit lactic upon opening but clears up quickly. It becomes peppery and raspberried and is delightfully earthy and brambly yet with lots of sweet fruit - like a hypothetical mix between N. Rhone Syrah and Cru Beaujolais. The palate is vibrantly fruity, with some nice citrussy acidity - very refreshing and "natural" tasting. Moderately long aftertaste. I like this very much.

We both liked this so much that nothing is left over for tomorrow. But no worries, there is one other Zweigelt, S. Moser Zweigelt Reserve 2003, that I will buy and try tomorrow.

-O-
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:54 pm

Hi Rob!

It's a pleasure to hear from you. As you know, you are in one of my favourite parts of the world, wine-wise. I really need to visit Austria's winelands sometime.

Otto, thanks for the post and TN. It sounds to me like you have a very good Zweigelt there - I hope that one makes it to Canada sometime.
no avatar
User

robs_r

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:31 am

by robs_r » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:59 pm

Otto wrote:
Sepp Moser Zweigelt Hedwighof 2004 20,60€

Otto, you need to come to Austria - this is about 8€ retail here.

Paul wrote:
I really need to visit Austria's winelands sometime.

Maybe you guys can align that and we will have a nice offline!

Regards, Robert :D
Robert Ruzitschka
Vienna, Austria
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:24 pm

robs_r wrote:
Sepp Moser Zweigelt Hedwighof 2004 20,60€

Otto, you need to come to Austria - this is about 8€ retail here.

That doesn't surprise me. Tampereen Viinitukku import very nice stuff but their prices are outrageous.

Tonight I'm drinking:

Sepp Moser Zweigelt Reserve 2003 13% abv 26,80€

As anyone will know who has read my notes, I haven't enjoyed most European 2003s because they show the characterstics of a hot year. But at the Alko where the personnell actually care about the wines and who know my taste I was told I might enjoy this Zweigelt.

It is dark. The nose is certainly riper than the '04 I reported on above - it is sweet but not over-done and there is only the smallest touch of a roasted character. It has some very attractive earthy notes married to the Beaujolais + N. Rhone hypothetical mix of fruit notes. I like the nose.

The palate however is not so successful. It is fruity but a bit too soft. It does stay together and isn't as acid-deficient as I was afraid it might be, but it lacks the definition of the '04. All in all, I am happy to have tried it (despite the outrageous price) and I do think it is a success for '03, but I still won't care to drink it again.

-O-