The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: JadeMtn Syrah '95...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: JadeMtn Syrah '95...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:05 am

Tried this last night w/ a samwich:
1. JadeMtn Syrah HudsonVnyd/Carneros/NapaVlly (13.5%) 1995: Dark color w/ slight bricking; somewhat bretty/horsecollar slight pencilly/oak slight blackberry/Syrah/plummy some aged/vaguely Rhonish nose; soft somewhat tannic/dried out bit pencilly/oak rather bretty/barnyardy/horsecollar/unclean slight toasty/pungent/blackberry/Syrah flavor; long rather tannic/dried out fairly bretty/barnyardy/unclean slight blackberry/licorice/Syrah finish; some nice things therein but too bretty/unclean and too tannic/dried out to enjoy; has seen much better days; drink up or toss.
1. This was one of the first really impressive Syrahs from LeeHudson's Carneros vnyd; one of Calif's great Syrah vnyds. Made by Doug Danilek, back in the good old days afore JadeMtn was bought out by the Chalone group. I thought the wine would easily go 10 yrs. I was wrong, once again. I don't recall the brett being so strong as it was in this btl.
TomHill
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Re: WTN: JadeMtn Syrah '95...(short/boring)

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:46 pm

Sounds kind of icky, Tom.

How was the samwich????
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Re: WTN: JadeMtn Syrah '95...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:21 pm

K Story wrote:Sounds kind of icky, Tom.

How was the samwich????

The wine wasn't icky in particular. Just didn't deliver up to expectations. This was after opening a Swan Zin FratiRanch '95 that was even more far gone.

The samwich was the highlight of a lost evening: peasant bread, heirloom tomatoe, smoked bacon, red pepper aioli, arugula pesto, NiemanRanch ham, and fresh arugula.
Tom