The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Fat Sheep Muscadet?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Fat Sheep Muscadet?

by Dale Williams » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:25 pm

With a salad of grilled shrimp, rosemary, white beans, the 2004 Domaine Branger " Terroir Les Gras Moutons" Muscadet Sevre et Maine. The 2002 of this got big acclaim from Florida Jim; the only notes I saw on this 2004 were less favorable. Lets see:

All tight, tense, and minerally at first. A bit austere. Some citrus peel and green apple fruit emerges with a bit of time. Ripping acidity, but at the same time this has a broad, creamy texture. I wasn't totally sold on first few sips, but by end of evening I'm a big fan. Looking forward to a glass tonight to see how it shows. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Re: WTN: Fat Sheep Muscadet?

by Dale Williams » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:37 pm

hey, rocking on night 2. Lots of rocks as a matter of fact. Minerals dancing with lime/grapefruit and a cool quinine/tonic note. Good stuff, must get more
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:51 pm

Dale Williams wrote:With a salad of grilled shrimp, rosemary, white beans, the 2004 Domaine Branger " Terroir Les Gras Moutons" Muscadet Sevre et Maine. The 2002 of this got big acclaim from Florida Jim; . . .

Never trust anything you hear and only half of what you see.
(I heard that in an old western and it sounds just about right.)
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:11 pm

Trust is a big word.
But I pay attention to Florida Jim TNs, and it served me well on this one by helping me decide to try the 2004.

And my last note before heading to France:
With a salad with grilled beef, stilton, and broccoli, a lightly chilled Beaujolais, the 2005 JP Brun/ Terres Dorees FleurieTight and ungiving, just bitter cherry fruit, and not much of that. Opens well throughout night. By now (4 hours since opening), pretty nice- floral notes over sweeter black cherry fruit, and some chalk and ferric mineral edges. Good wine now, not so good before. Less accessible than the 2004 was. At 4 hours, B+
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:08 am

Dale Williams wrote:Trust is a big word.
But I pay attention to Florida Jim TNs, and it served me well on this one by helping me decide to try the 2004.

And my last note before heading to France:
With a salad with grilled beef, stilton, and broccoli, a lightly chilled Beaujolais, the 2005 JP Brun/ Terres Dorees FleurieTight and ungiving, just bitter cherry fruit, and not much of that. Opens well throughout night. By now (4 hours since opening), pretty nice- floral notes over sweeter black cherry fruit, and some chalk and ferric mineral edges. Good wine now, not so good before. Less accessible than the 2004 was. At 4 hours, B+

Bon voyage, Dale! I expect to be regaled by lengthy descriptions of every waking moment upon your return. My Terres Dorees Fleurie is sleeping for another few years before it gets opened.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:47 am

I saw the subject line and was worred that the Fat Bastard people had moved into Muscadet.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

Re: WTN: Sons of Fat Sheep Muscadet?

by Bruce K » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:58 am

I recently tried the Branger 2005 les Fils des Gras Moutons at a tasting, liked it very much, and bought several bottles for the whopping price of $9. I haven't opened any yet, and obviously this is a lower-end bottling, but I enjoyed what I tried and it sounds, from your account and others, that Msr. Branger is a quality Muscadet producer. It's nice to expand my horizons beyond Pepiere and Luneau-Papin, though they're so good there's really no need...
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:38 pm

Rahsaan wrote:I saw the subject line and was worred that the Fat Bastard people had moved into Muscadet.

Rahsaan, LOL !!! Good one for RSJ winelist.