The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Rieslings and more

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Arnt Egil Nordlien

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:49 pm

Oslo

WTN: Rieslings and more

by Arnt Egil Nordlien » Wed May 03, 2006 8:15 am

Recent notes on wines had with dinner.

Riesling vom Stein Federspiel 1993, Nikolaihof Wachau, Austria
Quite deep straw colour. Very fine and complex nose, mineral, petrol, floral, great depth and balance. Dry and structured in the mouth. Quite full-bodied for a federspiel but with a long and acidic finish. Fine evolved riesling-notes. Slightly leafy and with great mineral depth. One of the best federspiels I have tasted. Highly recommended.

Riesling Im Weingebirge Smaragd 1992, Nikolaihof Wachau, Austria
Straw colour. Quite sweet and aromatic nose of honey, flowers, petrol, herbs and light mineral. Fullbodied and not as dry as the other wines. Quite round and with this very slight touch of rs. Less mineral wine, but with very nice and complex fruit, floral, honey, a slight touch of botrytis. Good acids and length with some anise in the finish. Perhaps lacking a bit in the mineral intencity of other wines, but the fruit is so nice and irresistable.

Steiner Hund riesling spätlese reserve 1991, Nikolaihof Kremstal, Austria
From magnum. Straw colour. Looks very young. Stoney nose. Very mineral. Some bitter flowers, herbs and very light petrol notes. Shows a little honey on day two. Slim wine in the mouth. Intence minerals. Showing what great site this derives from. Surprisingly young. Fresh and structured style. Quite underripe and green, showing bitter flowers. Not the greatest year. This is drinking well now, but will probably last a long time. Very good, but there are better vintages of this wine.

Riesling vom Stein Smaragd 1988, Nikolaihof Wachau, Austria
Yellow colour. Quite deep. Nose shows petrol, minerals, honey and some leafy notes. With some air this shows nice depth and interest. Full-bodied in the mouth. Concentrated and structured. But on the rustic side with petrol and mineral notes. Fine acids and long taste. Drinks well, will last. My least favourite of these wines.

Wehlener Sonnenuhr riesling kabinett 2001, Dr.Loosen Mosel, Germany
Lightly golden/green colour. Very fine nose, a little evolved, with hints of honey, oil (more than petrol), mineral and slightly sweet flowers. Fullbodied and sweet kabinett in the mouth with great structure and length. Still a 2-3 years too young. Flowery and honeyed fruit with fine mineral notes and apple peel in the finish. Racy wine. Tremendous kabinett, in the spätlese-style. Perhaps the finest kabinett I have tasted from Dr.Loosen. Note that there are several cuvees with the same name. So look for the exact AP-number (AP: 08 02).

Oberhäuser Leistenberg riesling kabinett 2004, Dönnhoff Nahe, Germany
AP: 005 05, 8,0% alc.Light straw/greenish colour. Slatey nose with some hints of sweet flowers, slight exotic fruit and green leafs. Sweet in the mouth, but still quite a slim wine with refreshing acidity. Slatey and mineral frui with some sweet flowers. Citrus and green apples in the finish. Lacking a little depth. But very fine and slim kabinett, greatly structured and a fine foodwine. Good for the price.

Grauburgunder -S- 2004, Dönnhoff Nahe, Germany
Straw colour. Nose of melon, green flowers, some mineral. Powerful wine in the mouth. Dry wine. Rich style with some fatness. Concentrated fruit which shows melon, banana, some mineral, but perhaps lacking a little in depth. Rich alcohol in the finish. Medium acids. Good length. Fine, but perhaps not the most interesting wine from Dönnhoff.

Periquita classico 1992, Fonsenca Palmela, Portugal
Brown-red colour. Dusty and complex nose of tar, old wood and red berries. Lightly oxydative notes. Medium bodied and decent concentration. Old fashioned style. Quite mature fruit showing tar and dusty wood. Fien and quite good. But starting too dry out. Drink up. Fine acids and some tannins in the finish.

Vino Monsecco riserva speciale 1970, Le Colline Piemonte, Italy
From Gattinara-zone. Transparent Onionskin-coloured wine with yellow rim. Very light. Fine noses with loads of high notes; roses, red fruits, some old wood. Not very intence and lacking in low notes. Light in the mouth. Mature. But fine fruit with roses and red fruits; currants. Good acidic backbone and just a little bit of tannins left. Fine length. This is very fine and probably the best of 4-5 bottles I have been through. But it needs to be drunk now. Very good.

Herederos de Argüeso Amontillado Jerez, Spain
Golden brown colour. Intence salty and nutty nose with some hints of flowers. Fine depth. Slim and fresh amontillado in the mouth. Intence and dry. Salty and mineral character of the fruit. And the typical nuttyness. Tells it's origins of Sanlucar de Barrameda. Long refreshing taste. Very fine amontillado in a dry, mineral and slim style.
Last edited by Arnt Egil Nordlien on Wed May 03, 2006 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

Re: WTN: Rieslings and more

by David Lole » Wed May 03, 2006 11:18 am

Very clear, precise and well-written notes, Arnt. Thanks.

Quite a few makers there I've yet to come across. Would it be possible to get the region/country of origin for dummies like moi, please? I'm guessing the Nikolaihof wines are from Austria?
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed May 03, 2006 11:40 am

Once more you've been abusing yourself with cheap wines from no-count producers, Anders. When will you LEARN? :shock:

Great wines, love your precise descriptions. I'm especially drooling over that Amontillado.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed May 03, 2006 2:30 pm

Daivd:

If I have these in the right order, it's

Austria Austria Austria Austria Germany Germany Germany Portugal Italy Spain. :)
no avatar
User

Arnt Egil Nordlien

Rank

Wine geek

Oslo

by Arnt Egil Nordlien » Wed May 03, 2006 3:18 pm

David Lole wrote:Very clear, precise and well-written notes, Arnt. Thanks.

Quite a few makers there I've yet to come across. Would it be possible to get the region/country of origin for dummies like moi, please? I'm guessing the Nikolaihof wines are from Austria?

Sorry for the late reply. I edited the original post and put in region and country.
no avatar
User

Arnt Egil Nordlien

Rank

Wine geek

Oslo

by Arnt Egil Nordlien » Wed May 03, 2006 3:20 pm

Jenise wrote:Once more you've been abusing yourself with cheap wines from no-count producers, Anders. When will you LEARN? :shock:

Great wines, love your precise descriptions. I'm especially drooling over that Amontillado.

Well I have a lot of surnames to choose from, but I am afraid Anders is not one of them. :wink:

The Amontillado is very good indeed. They also make a very nice and crisp manzanilla named San Leon.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Thu May 04, 2006 7:09 am

Thanks for the help, everybody. :D
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu May 04, 2006 3:49 pm

Herederos de Argüeso Amontillado Jerez, Spain
Golden brown colour. Intence salty and nutty nose with some hints of flowers. Fine depth. Slim and fresh amontillado in the mouth. Intence and dry. Salty and mineral character of the fruit. And the typical nuttyness. Tells it's origins of Sanlucar de Barrameda. Long refreshing taste. Very fine amontillado in a dry, mineral and slim style.

Arnt! Thanks for the notes! A Norwegian friend recently brought back a bottle of this for me. It indeed rocks - perhaps the best Amontillado I've tasted. FWIW, here's my TN: nutty, dark roasted coffee, some sweet toffee, medicinal, delightfully salty and oxidised. Nutty, chalky, very full, medicinal, long and intense. Excellent. Perhaps the best dry sherry I've had.

Seems a boring note compared to yours, LOL!!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sat May 06, 2006 6:02 pm

Are you trying to figure out the World Cup? You might just have a system! Pick the team with the wines you drink. Of course, who drinks Brazilian wines?
no avatar
User

Arnt Egil Nordlien

Rank

Wine geek

Oslo

by Arnt Egil Nordlien » Mon May 08, 2006 2:57 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:Arnt! Thanks for the notes! A Norwegian friend recently brought back a bottle of this for me. It indeed rocks - perhaps the best Amontillado I've tasted. FWIW, here's my TN: nutty, dark roasted coffee, some sweet toffee, medicinal, delightfully salty and oxidised. Nutty, chalky, very full, medicinal, long and intense. Excellent. Perhaps the best dry sherry I've had.

Argüeso became available here a couple of years ago. First with a very fine Manzanilla named San Leon. Then this fine amontillado. They are really very interesting. If you are interested in trying some more sherry you should try to find some from Pedro Romero. Sherry don't get better than that.