The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Good drinks

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Good drinks

by Florida Jim » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:24 pm

1992 Sullivan, Cabernet Sauvignon Coeur de Vigne:
Funky on the nose with tannic smellies, at first; this opens nicely over an hour to bottle bouquet, depth, complexity, decaying leaves and aged cabernet-fruit smells; round in the mouth (which was completely unexpected as this label often is acidic) with layers of fruit, plenty of secondary development, slightly tight but it seemed to loosen over an hour and good balance – but, as is usual for this house, lots of puckery tannins; medium length, drying finish. Absolutely needs fatty food and when it is served with such fare, the tannins melt away and this becomes a great old cabernet. Still has lots of time left in the cellar and may shed some more of its tannic bite if aged a few years. 13.2% alcohol and about $45 on release; I’d not buy it again but only because it will outlive me; good wine.

1999 Nikolaihof, Riesling Steiner Hund:
Pretty tight at the moment and not showing near the depth and power of previous bottles; pineapple/resin nose with white fruit and floral tones; tight and focused in the mouth while showing bright and stony; excellent length. We were having sausages (chicken) with Swiss chard and I thought this might work – it did but not to the extent I’d hoped. Hold. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Skurnik and about $40 on release; if I could find it at that price, I’d buy it by the case (based on previous showings).

2004 Pepière, Muscadet Clos des Briords VV:
Very few wines make me giddy; a black pepper, cream soda and citrus nose that is expansive and penetrating; viscosity with great cut, complex and intense flavors follow the nose with all sorts of earthy and fresh herb hints (much more open than last year), incredible acidity, perfect balance; astounding length. If I understand the concept, umami is loosely defined as “the essence of deliciousness;” this wine is packed with it. 12% alcohol, imported by Louis/Dressner and about $13 on release; back up the truck!
(Aside: Being as honest as possible when being also slightly giddy, it is difficult for me to remember a wine (white or red) I’ve enjoyed as much as this one. I’m sure there have been some but they don’t readily pop to mind, particularly with a sip of this on the palate. A truly “great” wine, showing beautifully.)

1997 Edmunds St. John, Syrah Parmelee Hill:
Red/black robe; black-cherry cola and warm plums on the nose; the same on the palate with little development or complexity; medium length finish. Ten years old and I have arrived much too early. Such are the lessons of wine. 14.2% alcohol, price unknown; thanks Steve.

2004 Dom. Leroy, Bourgogne:
Quite complex on the nose with whole cluster character and depth to burn; smooth, precisely balanced and equally complex in the mouth with finesse and layer after layer of depth; long finish. Burgundy to its core and a memorable experience, even in youth, that stokes my love for the magic that can happen on the Côte. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Leroy and about $67; I’d buy it again.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: Good drinks

by Marc D » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:23 pm

2004 Pepière, Muscadet Clos des Briords VV:
Very few wines make me giddy; a black pepper, cream soda and citrus nose that is expansive and penetrating; viscosity with great cut, complex and intense flavors follow the nose with all sorts of earthy and fresh herb hints (much more open than last year), incredible acidity, perfect balance; astounding length. If I understand the concept, umami is loosely defined as “the essence of deliciousness;” this wine is packed with it. 12% alcohol, imported by Louis/Dressner and about $13 on release; back up the truck!
(Aside: Being as honest as possible when being also slightly giddy, it is difficult for me to remember a wine (white or red) I’ve enjoyed as much as this one. I’m sure there have been some but they don’t readily pop to mind, particularly with a sip of this on the palate. A truly “great” wine, showing beautifully.)

I drank one of these about a month ago that was completely closed for business. I found some of the 2004 regular Pepiere Muscadet on sale today for $8, to drink while waiting for the Briords to come around. Your note gives me hope that mine was an off bottle. Maybe I will try opening another one soon.

Do you have a store where the Leroy Bourgogne is still available at that price? I think I've seen it for closer to $100!?

Thanks,
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:30 pm

I was just thinking the same thing as Marc. I would happily buy the Leroy at $67, but I have only found it selling at $99.

BTW, I had the 2004 Clos des Briords in May and it was crisp and vibrant.
Diane
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:30 am

Diane and Marc,
Only if you can do business with a store in GA. And I doubt they will ship out of state.
PM me if you can.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:24 pm

Thanks, Jim, but it won't work for me if they can't ship out of state.
Diane
no avatar
User

David Holman Jr.

Rank

Just got here

Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:46 am

South Carolina

by David Holman Jr. » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:56 pm

Jim, always enjoy your notes on the wines, meals etc....where is your source for the Pepiere? NC or Fla?, thanks, Dave
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:01 pm

Sullivan made a very erratic bevy of Cabs. Some really good, some Bleh! Never knew what you would get.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:55 am

David Holman Jr. wrote:....where is your source for the Pepiere? NC or Fla

Chambers Street Wines, NYC.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:56 am

Lou Kessler wrote:Sullivan made a very erratic bevy of Cabs. Some really good, some Bleh! Never knew what you would get.

Yep.
I still have some '80's and early '90's cab. and merlot from them. A crap shoot, every time but they damn sure are long lived.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:58 am

And so the Stone Dog is still not ready...thanks for allowing me to save my remaining bottles.
Decisions are made by those who show up