The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Lunch at Lupa and Some Wine Snippets

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

Lunch at Lupa and Some Wine Snippets

by Diane (Long Island) » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:08 pm

My favorite time of day to go to Lupa is for a late and leisurely lunch on a Saturday afternoon. We did that today and had a quiet corner table in the back room as most of the lunch crowd had vacated the room. We enjoyed a small carafe (carafino) of an easy sipping 2004 Falaghina while nibbling on the foccacia and perusing the menu. We selected as starters to share, fresh tuna with white beans, and roasted beets topped with gremolata. Both were good, but I was looking for a more summery vegetable dish. We generally have a summer squash dish with chunks of Pecorino, but it wasn't offered today. My usual main course is the light and airy gnocchi in a sausage tomato sauce. It was delicious. Joel ordered their very tasty skewered skirt steak and croutons all topped with finely diced carrots and onions. We had a 2004 Aldo Conterno Dolcetto with our entrees. The wine was light, fruity, with good acidity and a nice tartness at the end and was just fine with our entrees, and we continued sipping it with our usual dessert of the best tartuffo on this planet. Hazelnut ice cream covered in soft milk chocolate and topped with chopped hazelnuts, and a far cry from the commercialized ones available at every Italian restaurant.

After lunch we strolled around the Village before getting in the car and driving downtown to Chambers Street Wines, where we put together a mixed case. Then it was back in the car for a short drive to the Chelsea Market Place and a stop at Buon Italia for cheese and spices, the fish store for some wild King Salmon and some crusty wheat bread at Amy's. Next it was time to head home. We relaxed with a glass of Amaro and our bread and cheese on the patio in the evening. It was a glorious day.
Diane
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Lunch at Lupa and Some Wine Snippets

by Bob Ross » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:54 pm

What a nice report, Diane. Lupa and Chambers Street -- two of my favorite places. Thanks for sharing.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:33 pm

Bob Ross wrote:What a nice report, Diane. Lupa and Chambers Street -- two of my favorite places. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Bob, and it's best enjoyed on a quiet (relatively speaking) Saturday afternoon. Jamie at CSW commented that business was slow yesterday and everyone must be in the Hamptons. I would agree with that since traffic heading east was at a crawl, while we sailed right in. It doesn't happen too often.
Diane
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:43 pm

One of the best things about CSW is that there is almost always a parking place right in front of the store. I can only remember not finding one there one time since it opened.

Quite a difference from almost any other wine retailer in NYC.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:48 pm

Sounds like a nice day. And also nice that you and your husband can enjoy some of the same shopping pleasures.

My girlfriend enjoys going to nice restaurants but when we enter a wine shop her eyes quickly begin to glaze over, as do mine when we enter any sort of female clothing store.. :wink:
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:29 pm

Bob Ross wrote:One of the best things about CSW is that there is almost always a parking place right in front of the store. I can only remember not finding one there one time since it opened.

Quite a difference from almost any other wine retailer in NYC.

Well, if you were there with us yesterday, it would have been the second time. I even commented that someone was in our spot. Joel sat in the car by the fire hydrant and waited while I had them pack up a case of wine from my list. It probably took all of 10 minutes.
Diane
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:34 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Sounds like a nice day. And also nice that you and your husband can enjoy some of the same shopping pleasures.

My girlfriend enjoys going to nice restaurants but when we enter a wine shop her eyes quickly begin to glaze over, as do mine when we enter any sort of female clothing store.. :wink:

Hm....did I say he enjoyed the shopping part? He tolerates it, and as I said above, he sat in the car. It's the byproduct that he enjoys. Dinner tonight will be those beautiful salmon fillets we purchased at the Chelsea Market. I probably should have opened one of those lovely Marechale Burgundies I purchased, but I have already opened a Papapietro Perry Pinot Noir to go with the salmon.
Diane
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:08 pm

Diane (Long Island) wrote:Hm....did I say he enjoyed the shopping part? He tolerates it, and as I said above, he sat in the car. It's the byproduct that he enjoys..

Aha, well, on the positive side, at least you have a car minder :wink:

Enjoy the salmon and pinot noir, whatever you open.

Here in London we've already long digested our dinner (without wine) and are off to bed..