The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Terras Gauda Rias Baixas O Rosal Spain.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 2004 Terras Gauda Rias Baixas O Rosal Spain.

by Bob Ross » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:54 am

2004 Terras Gauda Rias Baixas O Rosal Spain. 12% alcohol. Beekman in Glen Rock. $20. Imported by A. V. Imports, Columbia, MD.

According to the winemaker: "Its prominent personality is the result of a combination of grape musts from the legendary ALBARIÑO variety (approximately 70%) with those of the singular LOUREIRA and CAIÑO BLANCO in the most adequate proportions."

Greenish yellow color, light hue, rather limited aroma, but a wonderful taste of apples, hints of citrus, herbal notes, laurel notes [from the Loureiro according to Victor de la Serna] and much more, oily mouth feel, long, complex finish. A bit more restrained than the 2005 vintage, but nonetheless a very pleasant drinking wine, that showed beautifully with my home made Margherita pizza. Delicious. 4*.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Madrid, Spain

Re: WTN: 2004 Terras Gauda Rias Baixas O Rosal Spain.

by Victor de la Serna » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:53 pm

Thanks for remembering... Indeed, as anyone can surmise, 'loureiro' means... laurel, in the Portuguese and Galician languages. For a good reason.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:06 pm

I couldn't identify that laurel taste when I posted on the 2005 version, Victor -- "and more" covered the aroma and taste -- but I visited a laurel patch on a hike a couple of weeks ago, and found the aroma immediately last night. Thanks for building my wine tasting vocabulary and memory. :)

Is this a wine that must be drunk relatively young or was there a distinct difference between the 2004 and 2005 vintages?

As I mentioned, this wine is almost always on offer at Beekman, a shop nearby.

Regards and thanks again, Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:15 pm

Great wine eh Bob. We seem to like the same style of wines these days, should be a TN from me somewhere here on this forum.