The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1986 Cantemerle

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 1986 Cantemerle

by Jenise » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:10 pm

We do not pray. But sometimes in that same spirit we make toasts, and sad about learning that the marriage of some good friends who like us were married in this vintage is in trouble, we chose this wine to accompany a cold summer dinner platter of leftover roast beef and broccolini with a rosemary vinaigrette so that we could raise our glasses to B & D and ask whatever gods there are to help us help them through the coming weeks and months.

The wine was up to the task. Not decanted but poured straight to glass through a Nuance filter, the wine needed only a minute or two of air time to knit together. Dense brickish dark red color, flavors of plums, herbs, earth and just a hint of toffee in the finish. Tannins seem completely resolved. It's the only aged Cantemerle I've had but for a too-old 1970 a few years ago. Not as complex as I might have hoped based on a young vintage 2000 Cantemerle (the first Cantemerle I ever had, therefore what I compare to) and other 86's, and though categorically no more than Very Good compared to what's possible, Very Good is always good enough for me. That is, I didn't find any upside potential here but it stayed on course during the two hours we lingered over the bottle.
Last edited by Jenise on Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTN: 1986 Cantemerle

by James Dietz » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:03 pm

Touching and bittersweet....my thoughts are with your friends....
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:53 pm

It makes me nostalgic to see Cantemerle being featured.

In my early wine drinking days it was one of the most reliably elegant clarets available at a reasonable price; it was punching well above its 5ème Grand Cru weight in the good vintages of the 50s and 60s. My father kept a few bottles of several vintages which I tried to persuade him to open only when I was at home.

Since then it has fallen off my radar screen and I don't think that I have drunk any for over 20 years. I believe that it has been quite recently replanted and current vintages may suffer from this.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:25 pm

What a thoughtful way to "pray" for your friends. That is very touching, and while I hope that things work out for the best for them, they're both very luck to have friends like you pulling for them!
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt