The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Aaagh well, I am no Pinot Noir expert!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Aaagh well, I am no Pinot Noir expert!!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:27 pm

Looking at a nicely roasted duck that the neighbour bought over, I decided to open my `04 Sebastiani PN (Sonoma Coast). Yup, I know it was a warm vintage but this bottle has been sitting around long enough and I have a lot of respect for this winery so might match my bird pretty good!!

WTN: `04 Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast, Sebastiani.

Good natural cork, 13.5% alc, opened half hour and slightly chilled. $20 Cdn two years ago

Colour. Some reddish tinges, pale garnet? Has some developed orange on the rim. Not a lot of depth in the centre, unlike that `05 Cono Sur I posted on.

Nose. Strawberry, raspberry, "hint of maraschino cherry" thought our friend. Nose is a tad muted when one compares to the palate. Might develope if I keep a glass overnight? No cola!

Palate. Initial mouthfeel entry is ripe, jammy. Lots of fruit here and seems to have cellared nicely. No sign of oak, soft tannins, good acidity.
Blackberry and strawberry with cherry as it warms. Excellent depth of flavors, some cocoa as it opens, smooth and medium bodied. Good with my duck!

**** after 24 hrs, more depth on finish with some spice and more cocoa. Mid-palate very good. Unlike some of the other PNs I have tasted at various shows, this one a victim of the warm conditions? Satisfied however.