The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Four wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Four wines

by Florida Jim » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:40 am

2005 Philippe Portier, Quincy:
This bottling won the Médaille d’Or in Paris 2006 and I can see why as it is powerfully scented, rich and viscous in the mouth yet backed by bright acidity, salty minerality and has good complexity and length. Nonetheless, the nose smells strongly of cut grass (bordering on perm solution) and this element carries over to the palate. If you like well-made, grassy sauvignon, you’ll love this – I don’t. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Robert Kacher and about $12; I’ll not buy it again.

2006 Dry Stack Cellars, Sauvignon Blanc Rosemary’s Block:
Tropical fruit, grapefruit nose with hints of vanilla, flint and stones; rich, fleshy, mouth-coating with no grassy or cat pee elements and good acidity; excellent length. Much the better wine for my tastes despite its 14.1% alcohol; about $20; I bought plenty. (Every bit as good on day two – ‘kept in the fridge overnight.)

2002 Allemand, Cornas:
Cornas is my favorite expression of syrah; this has warm fruit aromas with earthy, smoky, meaty scents; a character driven, multi-faceted palate that is gutsy and somewhat rustic; a solid structure and a complex, lasting finish. And while this vintage may not have produced the most long-lived versions of the AOC, 2002 treated Thiérry Allemand just fine - this is pure, balanced, showing well and of its place. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Chelsea Ventures and about $35; I bought plenty.

2002 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Clos des Allées VV:
Pungent unripe pineapple, stone and fresh air aromas with good complexity; viscous, powerfully flavored wine with great cut, layers of flavor, more weight than expected, excellent balance and world record acidity; unbelievable length. I’ve tasted this wine at least 20 times since release and it never fails to impress – I know what’s coming and it still exceeds expectations. 12% alcohol, imported by Louis/Dressner and about $7, on sale; one of the best bargains of my life.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: Four wines

by JC (NC) » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:19 am

Quoting Florida Jim:
I know what’s coming and it still exceeds expectations.

Great line!
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:34 pm

Jim -

Are there any other 2002 Cornas that you have tried and liked?

I drank up all my 2002 Clos des Allees long ago, but the 2005 version is a worthy successor.

Best,
Marc
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:37 pm

Marc D wrote:Are there any other 2002 Cornas that you have tried and liked?

I haven't tried any others that I can recall.
I drank up all my 2002 Clos des Allees long ago, but the 2005 version is a worthy successor.

'Glad to hear it. I have not tried it yet but will in the next month or so.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:45 pm

Marc D wrote:Jim -

Are there any other 2002 Cornas that you have tried and liked?

Best,
Marc

That's good to hear, Marc. I've got a bottle chilling right now. Is the Clos des Allees bottling any less ageworthy than the L D'Or? Or is it just so yummy young that it doesn't matter?

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:15 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Is the Clos des Allees bottling any less ageworthy than the L D'Or? Or is it just so yummy young that it doesn't matter?

No less ageworthy.
IIRCC, the L D'Or is a cuvee (blend), the Clos des Allees, a single vineyard. Regardless, both age very well indeed.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:18 pm

The Allees never lasts long enough at my house to tell. I've read somewhere that the L D'Or is the vin de garde from LP, but Jim's experience proves they both can age well.

The only older ones I have tried are the wines that were more recent library releases, like the '88 Briords and the '89 L D' Or. I found out I liked Muscadet about 5 years ago, so it is something relatively new for me.

Marc