The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Pork (cross posted on the Kitchen)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Pork (cross posted on the Kitchen)

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:07 pm

Which would you rather have with roasted pork with a garlic, citrus sauce?

JJ Prum Wehlener Sonenuhr Spatlese 2005

or

Domaine Bouchard Pere & Fils Savigny-Les-Beaune 2002

My sister is making dinner for the family, it's the last time we'll all be together before my brother heads off to Iraq, so I want something that will go well w/ the meat (she picked up a bottle of Rodney Strong PN to go with, blah).

I think they'll both probably go just fine, but I can't decide.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: Pork (cross posted on the Kitchen)

by Saina » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:13 pm

Not having tasted either of the wines, I would probably go with the Burgundy. Prüm is so terribly young. The Burg is also, but as it is "only" a S-lès-B I would imagine that would give more pleasure right now.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:26 pm

Just to be contrarian, I would try the Riesling. Tasting the 05 now would give you a chance to taste the beautiful primary fruit before the wine closes down, and might match really well with the pork and citrus. You might want to decant the Prum.

I guess I would decide by asking my wife if she felt like red or white wine with dinner.

I would be interested in hearing about either of the wines, so if you have a chance to post a note that would be great. I bought a few 2002 Bouchard wines but haven't opened any for a while.

Best,
Marc
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:26 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Not having tasted either of the wines, I would probably go with the Burgundy. Prüm is so terribly young. The Burg is also, but as it is "only" a S-lès-B I would imagine that would give more pleasure right now.

-O-

Thanks for the feedback, Otto. Now you bring me to another question, though.

If I didn't have the Prum tonight with the pork I was going to have it on Thursday with Thai. However since you bring up it's youth, I have decided to hold off. The problem is that I've been storing it since purchase (about 4 months ago) in the fridge...is this going to ruin it? I had originally planned on drinking it sooner, not realizing that it would benefit from age. But now I'm concerned that the way I'm storing it may end up damaging it. Should I take it out of the fridge or just leave it in there? Will the temperature fluctuations be detrimental?
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:43 pm

Drink the Prum. Drink the Prum. Drink the Prum!!!

Put the Prum in a decanter & let it blow off some youthful spritz/gas. The citrus in the sauce/glaze will not work with the Burg. It will sing with the Prum.

The 2005 Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese is one of the more approachable Prums in a long time & is delicious right now with some decanting. (I had a 375 ml bottle a few months ago).

If for some reason you don't have it tonight then by all means have it with the Thai. 4 months in the fridge may have dried out the cork quite a bit, affecting the long term seal.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:47 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:The 2005 Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese is one of the more approachable Prums in a long time & is delicious right now with some decanting. (I had a 375 ml bottle a few months ago).

Wow! I thought Prüm never is approachable when young. Good to learn new things everyday. Sage advice on the cork also - thanks for saving me the time to type it up! :)

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:00 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:The 2005 Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese is one of the more approachable Prums in a long time & is delicious right now with some decanting. (I had a 375 ml bottle a few months ago).

David, what are your thoughts on the '02's & '03's?

I've asked a friend who loves German wines over for Thai w/ the intention of drinking the '05 with her. So if I drink that tonight w/ the pork, then I'll have to find something to replace it for Thursday, but my wine store doesn't carry the '05, only '02 & '03.

I am making WAY too big a deal of this, aren't I?! :)
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:16 pm

Wines from both grapes go well with pork. With this one I would go with the Pinot.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:18 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:Wines from both grapes go well with pork. With this one I would go with the Pinot.

But the pork itself has very little to do with the wine matching. The saucing is the whole issue. Citrus is a much better match with the Prum. Now if it was dried cherries or somethign I would agree on the Burg.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:20 pm

K Story wrote:

David, what are your thoughts on the '02's & '03's?

I've asked a friend who loves German wines over for Thai w/ the intention of drinking the '05 with her. So if I drink that tonight w/ the pork, then I'll have to find something to replace it for Thursday, but my wine store doesn't carry the '05, only '02 & '03.

I am making WAY too big a deal of this, aren't I?! :)

If you can do a decant then you can drink the '02 or the '03. The '03 is one of the few that escaped the 2003 "flabbies" & if you give it a few hours in a decanter to blow off some steam (so to spek) then the extra richness of that vintage may well cut through the spicy/bold flavors of Thai better than the 2002 (which is slimmer/more classic).
no avatar
User

Nathan Smyth

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:20 am

by Nathan Smyth » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:38 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Drink the Prum. Drink the Prum. Drink the Prum!!!

Dittoes.

Prum & pink pork [Ham, bacon] are a match made in Heaven.

Not sure about Prum and white/gray pork [tenderloin], but hey, it's Prum, dammit - how can you possibly go wrong?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:47 pm

Again, with pork loin or tenderloin (even chops) it's all about the flavors of the sauce/spice.

Go ahead and cook a piece of unseasoned pork - doesn't taste like much at all.
no avatar
User

Alan Uchrinscko

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:10 am

by Alan Uchrinscko » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:38 pm

As the other have said, the sauce is the determining factor here. If it was a reduction of sour cherries or something, I'd drink the SLB. With citrus I think you gotta go with a white.
Alan Uchrinscko
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:48 am

Gewurztraminer could be interesting, as could a full bodied Muscat. But those were not options. Heck I've had some Chablis from 2002 and 2005 that reminded me a lot of Alsatian Riesling (due to really ripe fruit) that might work as well.