The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mostly Friulian Biancos....(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Mostly Friulian Biancos....(long/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:31 pm

We tried (4/11/07) Some Friulian Biancos:
1. diLenardo Toh! da Uve TocaiFriuliano DOC: Friuli (13.5%) 2004: Light gold color;
rather dusty/stony some floral/gardenia perfumed nose; tart very dusty/stony/metallic
weak floral flavor; shart/tart/lean stony/metallic/dusty light floral finish; lacks
fruit but nice food white for the price. $11.00
tart some minerally/muscatty very perfumed finish; a bit on the screechy/citric side
but wonderful aromatics and floral character. $20.00
flavor; med.short bitter some oxidized/nutty finish; seems past its prime and somewhat
oxidized w/ no fruit. $19.00
fruity finish; a pleasant/zippy good-drinking white at a fair price. $14.00
off-dry finish; lovely nose but not quite delivers on the palate. $15.00
toasty very spicy/garam marsala/nutmeg ripe/floral finish; a big/rich very interesting
white; a serious and unique rendition of Tocai. Fairly priced at $25.00.
toasty/caramel/oak rather Semillon-like finish; pretty weird rendition of Verduzzo
but still interesting; bit pricey at $28.00
long/lingering pineapply/botrytis very ripe/lush honeysuckle complex finish; an
amazing Auslese-level semi-Sauternes white at a steal at $14.00.
peachy loads of fruit flavor; very long/lush floral/honeysuckle/perfumed some minerally
finish; almost Roussanne-like but w/ structure; beautiful white at a great price.
$16.00
Roussanne-like flavor; long ripe/lush quite floral/perfumed/honeysuckle light mineral/
earthy finish; quite Roussanne like; a steal at $13.00
floral/mineraly/earthy finish; quite an attractive wine at a very good price. $13.00
somewhat pineapply/floral bit minerally/earthy finish; a bit heavy on oak but plenty of
fruit underneath; lovely attractive PG. $20.00/500 ml
earthy/minerally attractive slight oak flavor; long rather herbal/floral some minerally
finish; quite an attractive/interesting white that speaks mostly of SB. $22.50/500 ml
lush some pungent/oak rather floral/minerally/stony light earthy flavor; very long lush/
rich some toasty/charred/oak quite floral/minerally finish; my favorite of the three
Vare's; quite an interesting/complex wine. $25.00/500ml
stony/minerally finish; very attractive nose but a bit dilute on the palate; very
attractive white for the price. $12.00
long stony/minerally light floral/gardenia finish; good acidity & balance; a very
attractive floral/minerally white; bit pricey at $33.00
________________________________________________________________________________________
And more pontifications from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. Many of these wines came from WineExchange/SantaMonica that Roberto steered me to. They
were universally quite good. I was turned on to the Vare's by MX at Enoteca in Calistoga.
be exploring. With barrell fermentation, a strong 200% new French oak barrel regime,
full M-L, lees stirring, 16% alcohol; they could be making world-class Pignoletto in
Calif and getting $40/btl for it.
made. Apparently there's quite a strong flow of both grapes and wine thru this rather
porous border. There are some producers there that are making some very bizarre (and
pricey) wines that are certainly not to everyone's taste but, by and large, the
mainstream producers are making very attractive wines.
interacts a lot with the greats of Friuli (Radikon, Simcic, Gravner) and looks to
them for guidance. These were my first exposure to his wines and, to say the least, I
was mightly impressed. Proud to say I followed his wines from the very start.
I was particularly excited about discovering his wines and bought an xtra btl to share
with BobbyStuckey. But I shoulda known...Bobby already knew about George's wines and had
already visited there. If you haven't eaten there, BobbyStuckey and Lachlan McKinnon's
Frasca restaurant in Boulder is one of the USofA's greatest Italian restaurants,
specializing in Friulian cusine. George flew in from Calif just for the Simcic dinner
they held there several months ago. It's worth the journey. Not only is the food
superb, the wine list (as you'd expect from Bobby) is incredible. I can't begin to count
the wines he's turned me on to. Incredible restaurant 'tis.
Tom
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

Re: WTN: Mostly Friulian Biancos....(long/boring)

by wrcstl » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:20 pm

Tom,
You tasted my favorite NE Italy white grape. They are hard to find in St. Louis but I really enjoy them. Hopefully your experience was not typical as almost all that I have had were pleasant and good values. I did not know they made a botrytis version and I have only had the dry wines. It does seem that these wines are not made to age and best drank over the first 1-3 years.
Walt