The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Chateau Le Battaile Medoc AOC 2004 (Young Bordeaux Experiment)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Chateau Le Battaile Medoc AOC 2004 (Young Bordeaux Experiment)

by Brian K Miller » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:09 am

after a late meeting, the folks at Wine Styles were kind enough to pour me a big glass of this red Bordeaux near closing time.

2004 vintage.

Very dark color. Somewhat reticent nose-my host tasted quite a bit of tobacco, which was there. A slight touch of heat on the nose, but I am somewhat sensitive to alcohol, so...

The palette reflects the youngness of the wine and perhaps the vintage. This is a pretty "tough" red wine, lots of tannins, good acidity, dark leather and tobacco notes. No obvious vanilla oak notes (the website notes only 12 months on oak, so....)

There is not a lot of "obvious" fruit here-definitely a touch of current and cassis but the acids and tannins are pretty dominant now-which I guess one would expect at age 2 since bottling.

Bordeaux experts may be able to tell if this wine would age well...I'm almost thinking that the tannins will always be dominant and that there is not "enough" fruit.

Since I like this kind of austere, dry wine, the lack of fruit is not a turn off for me. *** About $23 at Winestyles.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Re: WTN: Chateau Le Battaile Medoc AOC 2004 (Young Bordeaux Experiment)

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:44 am

Did you buy any to hold and see what evolves?
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:48 am

Not yet, but I will (not enough cash on me last night)

I've been buying a lot of 2004 Bordeaux (by the single bottles, can't afford a case) as a mid to long term experiment over the past few months. I don't have too many 2003s, and the 2005s sound too pricey (it's intriguing that the 2004s are well below the 2003s in price). I may begin drinking very well in 2012. :lol:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:52 am

It was probably kind of foolish of me, but I bought a case of '05 Bordeaux futures a few months ago (I own very little bordeaux). Between now and delivery I'm going to have to come up with a viable storage system, which I keep meaning to do but putting off (all my long-term stuff is in my credenza at work because they keep the temperature relatively cool and consistent, although the humidity is insufficient).
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt