The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

"Was it the wine?"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

"Was it the wine?"

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:01 pm

Odd but supposedly true news story from the Washington Post.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Re: "Was it the wine?"

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:34 pm

Funny, I saw your post and then a short while later the French Wine Society emailed a copy of the article. Kind of an unusual email to get from them, although they mentioned an upcoming event also...
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:04 pm

Love the story. Probably a good thing they didn't offer him Three Thieves jug wine or even worse, Fat Bastard.
no avatar
User

Lizbeth S

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Lizbeth S » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:36 pm

Now I know what to serve if I'm ever having dinner with mortal enemies :D
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:58 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Odd but supposedly true news story from the Washington Post.

What a great article! Thanks for posting this, Cyn!!!

“The peoples of the Mediterranean began to emerge from barbarism when they learned to cultivate the olive and the vine.” - Thucydides, Greek Historian, 5th century BCE.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:05 am

It's amazing the impact little things can have. The Beatles' song "Let It Be" probably saved my life ... or at least allowed me not to have my nose broken.

It must have been in the spring of 1970. We were seniors in high school. The evening had been spent at McSorley's Old Ale House on East 7th in NYC. (Back then, it was still a "men only" establishment ... if you consider 17 year-old boys from a Jesuit prep school to be men.) After several hours of three beers for a dollar, we somehow found ourselves in the 14th St. tube station. We had to get back to Jersey City, Hoboken, and other cherished places in New Jersey. We were falling down drunk, something which a couple of youthful muggers decided to take advantage of. Just as they were about to toss us on the third rail, one of our group uttered, "Let it be." Then everyone started saying, "Yeah, man, let it be." Soon the muggers and we were all smiling, hugging, and chanting, "Let it be." We sat down, passed some lovely stuff around, told a few jokes, enjoyed the dank ambiance of the tube station, and went home pleased as punch with ourselves.

It's nice to know that in this non-transcendental world of today at least one substance brings peace to our planet.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:14 pm

Thanks for this. Very odd indeed.

But, I guess the thief did have enough sense to barge in on dinners where he could find wine to suit his palate..