The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: New Zealand wine dinner--lengthy and fruity

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: New Zealand wine dinner--lengthy and fruity

by JC (NC) » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:33 pm

The thunderstorm broke when I was about 5-6 miles from the restaurant but I got there safely. Bob Bath, Master Sommelier and instructor at Culinary Arts Institute in Napa and representative of some New Zealand wineries was the featured guest. We have in common that we both lived in Monterey area at the same time in the late 80's/early 90's (but didn't know each other). He used to be General Manager of the Sardine Factory (restaurant), while I "celebrated" my special days at the Whaling Station Inn on the same block.

We were greeted with a glass of 2005 GREENHOUGH SAUVIGNON BLANC from Nelson, N.Z.
100% S.B. Nice sharp scent between grassy and citrusy. Darker straw color (hard to judge color with lighting and reflective surfaces--I was at the tall communal table with metal surface). Some mouth presence. I suspected a touch of wood and he said both the Sauvignon Blancs saw about 10% old oak barrels.

Nancy Agasi did a terrific job pairing the wines with her husband Sarig's dishes. The 2006 TUPARI SAUVIGNON BLANC, Marlborough, NZ was matched with organic green salad with sauteed shrimp, honeydew melon and passion fruit vinaigrette. This SB was a paler color than the Greenhough and had a richer bouquet--almost a pear scent or fruit cocktail including pear, pineapple and grapefruit. Bob Bath described aromas as melon and passion fruit, matching exactly with the ingredients of the salad. I would have bought a bottle or two of this ($28) but went for a single bottle of the Pinot Noir instead.

2005 HATTON ROAD EC2 CHARDONNAY, Gimblett Road, Hawkes Bay, NZ was served with Maine lobster pieces with sweet local corn and cherry tomatoes and radish salad. The EC2 is for Experimental Chardonnay 2. It had a crispness that led me to believe it was unoaked (or unwooded as Mr. Bath called it) and I was correct. No malolactic fermentation either and relatively high in acidity. You could taste the Chardonnay grape in this wine. Hawkes Bay is on the North Island of New Zealand.

2004 MARTINUS PINOT NOIR, Martinborough, NZ was a revelation. My favorite NZ Pinot Noir yet (and it should be good at $43). It's a cold climate vineyard, only 300 cases made. The winemaker describes as silky and he is right. Leggy on sides of glass. Pale burgundy color with some transparency. Red cherries on palate with hint of vanilla and cherry skins and plum skins. Silky and elegant. It it weren't for the cost I would have bought several bottles. This was served with roast breast of duck with roasted potatoes, cherries and black plum sauce.

2003 HATTON ESTATE CARSON'S CABERNETS, Hawkes Bay, NZ (75% Cab Franc and 25% Cabernet Sauvignon). Paired with New Zealand rack of lamb with Mushroom Hill Shitake risotto and blackberry sauce. Not a lot of oak to this wine either. 12.8% alcohol. Much darker color than the Pinot Noir. Nancy says it causes her to envision walking through a cedar forest to a clearing of blackberry bramble bushes. I did not care too much for the final wine--seem to prefer Cab Franc as a rose' from Chinon.

No dessert wines but a dish of mixed berries with Jackson Farm Creme Fresh Whipped Cream.

Wonderful food pairings with some very nice wines.
Last edited by JC (NC) on Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: WTN: New Zealand wine dinner--lengthy and fruity

by Randy Buckner » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:10 pm

I've never seen any of these wines in the marketplace. Do you know if they are relatively new imports?
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

by michael dietrich » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:29 am

I started carrying some of Bob's wines about a year ago. The Martinus Pinot Noir is probably my favorite wine of his. Last June, while I was in Martinborough, I got to meet Robert Van Zanten, the owner and winemaker. Pinot is the only wine they make. I also carry the Greenhough and Borthwick wines as well. He recently picked up Millton but I have not tasted them yet.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:20 am

I think they are mostly small artisanal wineries. Maybe Sue Courtney can add some further info. I checked on the Martinus Pinot Noir I liked so much and RLB Wine Group (i.e. Bob Bath) is the only distributor listed for USA.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:49 am

New names to me too as I sip my Matua Valley SB!!
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:06 pm

JC (NC) wrote:I think they are mostly small artisanal wineries. Maybe Sue Courtney can add some further info. I checked on the Martinus Pinot Noir I liked so much and RLB Wine Group (i.e. Bob Bath) is the only distributor listed for USA.

Hi JC,
Nice notes, by the way.
Greenhough was about the third producer established in Nelson. Have quite a good reputation in NZ, especially for their Hope Vineyard Pinot Noir (Hope being the name of the village just out of Nelson where the wine is grown). I've always felt the Nelson SB's have loitered in the shadow of their eastern neighbour, Marlborough.

Tupari is a new vineyard in the Awatere Valley in Marlborough. Glenn Thomas, the winemaker from Vavasour, is involved with the winemaking. Haven't tried this yet, but sounds delish, especially with that food match.

Hatton Estate is based right in Gimblett Road in Hawkes Bay. They have made some very stellar reds, including one called 'Tahi', which costs about $70 a bottle in NZ. I was very impressed with the Carson's Cab 2003 (NZ$25) not long after release - impenetrable black colour, fragrant, with massive tannins tames by the rich fruit. I tasted it two years ago. Interesting to read your note.

I thought I had tasted the Martinus Estate 2005 - but can't find my tasting note - so probabaly not. It's had some really good raps here too. A single, mono grape vineyard with first vintage in 2001. I liked the 2002 and 2003, which I have tasted. Love the sound of your food match with this wine too.

Cheers,
Sue