The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A couple to avoid...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: A couple to avoid...

by Redwinger » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:35 am

I opened the first wine in honor of Bastille Day although I'm not sure which side of the border Alsace was on in 1789. :twisted:

2005 Frey-Sohler, Rittersberg Riesling (Alsace)
This came recommended by the local shop, but I found it very disappointing. The palate was overwhelming green and NJ objected to what she described as bell pepper. Undistinguished at best and not recommended. I've tried a few wines from this producer over the last 3 or 4 years and never have been impressed. No mas for me.
A J et R Import

2004 Justin Cabernet Sauvignon (Paso Robles)
The same guy who recommended the Frey-Sohler was pouring this and singing its' praises to all who would listen including favorable references to some Bordeaux that he recently tasted. That was enough to get me to try a sip. There was some decent/simple/ripe fruit, but waaaay too much oak for my palate. Concocted.
'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: WTN: A couple to avoid...

by Bill Hooper » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:36 pm

Redwinger wrote:I opened the first wine in honor of Bastille Day although I'm not sure which side of the border Alsace was on in 1789. :twisted:
'Winger

Alsace had been French since 1715 and still was in 1789 for a few more years...
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: A couple to avoid...

by Brian K Miller » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:08 pm

I agree with you vis a vis the Justin. Tried it Friday night at a new wine shop. Not a good sign that I disliked everything they were pouring :cry: (They ahd some nice stuff, but if anything above the retail prices I've seen elswhere, so no thanks.) How can it be so green and harsh in such a hot climate? It's pretty cheap in price, but there are a lot of wines in the same range I would much rather drink.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach