The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN:'97 Pinon Traditional

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

WTN:'97 Pinon Traditional

by wrcstl » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:37 pm

This wine was raved about several years ago and I bought 6 bottles. Really liked this wine when it was young, melon, minerals and a sweetness that seemed balanced. I have opened two bottles over the last two months and both have been very dissapointing. I thought the first was just a bad bottle but on Saturday night I opened another bottle that tasted the same, cloying simple sweetness with no complex fruit flavors. Dissapointing but I only have one more bottle left. Has anyone tried this recently to confirm or dissagree with my experience? It is possible that this wine is going through a super dumb phase?
Walt
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

Re: WTN:'97 Pinon Traditional

by Clint Hall » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:25 am

Walt, maybe it is going through a dumb phase. A 1996 Francois Pinon Vouvray Premiere Trie that I bought a half case of has been having its ups and downs. (Its ups have been wonderful).
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

Re: WTN:'97 Pinon Traditional

by wrcstl » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:26 am

Clint,
My bottle was the regular bottling not the Premiere Trie. I had another 1/2 glass last night and it had some more mineral notes and certainly better than the first night. I am going to do 1/2 glass each night for about 4 more days and see what happens. Still think the "traditional" was best drank young.
Walt