The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Which comes first?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Which comes first?

Wine and then food
21%
Food and then wine
34%
50-50
45%

Total votes : 29
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Which comes first?

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:37 am

Florida Jim's post on notes regarding food and wine got me thinking about something similar, albeit kind of frivolous.

Do you typically choose what you're going to eat based upon what wine you feel like drinking?

or

Do you typically choose what wine you're going to drink based upon what you've decided to have for a meal?

I've never posted a poll online before, so I have no idea if this is going to work (and apologies to all you poll-haters out there, just scroll on by!).
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Which comes first?

by Bob Ross » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:49 am

With the exception of offlines where wine is the name of the game, I almost invariably decide on the food and then try to find a wine match.

In part that's because Janet and I decide on our menu when we eat at home -- food is always more important to her than the wine -- and then I do the cooking and choose the wine.

In a restaurant, food's almost always the most important consideration, then the wine list.

Once in a great while we will take a special bottle to a restaurant for a celebration, but our special bottles almost always will go with a variety of foods.

Regards, Bob

PS: Looks like your first poll is working great! :) B.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:50 am

I'll always look at the winelist before ordering food, and if there's a wine I really want I'll change my food order if necessary.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:53 am

I think it's a great poll, K!

I think "50-50" works for me, although when I think it through, it's probably a little bit more complicated. I often decide on dinner based on what I was able to get fresh from the grocery (or in this season, the garden or produce market), and when that happens, the food guides the wine. But if I've been wine shopping or for any reason have a wine up that I really want to try, then the wine guides the food. And very often it's a mix of factors. I'll shop for food and, when I see something interesting, say, "Hey, I've got a few wines at home that would go great with that," buy it, take it home and then decide which specific wine to open.

So it's not necessarily a simple equation, but "50-50" certainly comes the closest to representing it.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:18 pm

I'm probably about 60/40 for wine then food for a couple of reasons.

I'm still relatively new to wine, so I'm doing a lot of experimenting. While I already know what to expect from most foods, a new wine is always a surprise, so I tend to want to try more new wines and base my food choice around that.

I also find that usually, at least for me, a wine benefits more from a good food choice than vice-versa (a perfectly grilled medium rare steak is going to taste really good on it's own, whereas the cab you choose to have with it might be a bit too tannic on it's own but will soften up into a really pleasing experience w/ the benefit of the protein). I can certainly think of a number of exceptions to this that I've experienced, but on the whole it holds true for me.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:30 pm

Oh - I took the poll to mean in restaurants.

At home??

I buy wines to my tastes and when about to have a meal select a wine I fancy. I don't think we choose a meal when we are buying ingredients based on a particular wine.

I have more than enough wines at home - the only wine I will buy especially for a meal is Retsina if we've run out, when we are having a particular Greek dish.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:09 pm

As for my thinking - I often have a wine that either needs drinking or is one that I've just been looking forward to for a while; or maybe the occasion is special and calls for a special wine. In these situations, I'll decide on the food because of the wine.
Just as often, I'll think about what wine to have only after I've learned what the meal/event will consist of.
Only once in a while will I have no wine at all, usually because the food either isn't wine friendly or I simply don't have a wine that will complement it.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:24 pm

Voted for food first, but of course it is not 100%. There are times when our hearts are set on a wine and then decide what to eat with it.

Cheers,
Carl
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:20 pm

We'll decide what we want to cook or serve then match wines accordingly.

Richard
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:31 pm

Here's a small but perhaps related tangent: In the Foodie Forum, there's a new thread inviting people to post "perfect pairings," the classic or not-so-classic matches of food and wine that work particularly well.

In the first few posts, I just noticed that everybody but me listed the wine first, then the food ("Pinot Noir and mushrooms"). I instinctively listed the food first, then the wine ("Oysters and Muscadet").

In the context of this thread, I wonder if this response was random or significant ...
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:41 pm

While I almost never join in on these polls, I decided to on yours. Since my wife cooks by far the majority of meals, and she doesn't drink wine at all, it is food first and wine second. Now on the occasion of my cooking the meal ( cooked mostly on Big Mama) I generally choose a wine then decide on seasonings.

On the occasion of dining out, I always will choose the wine then decide on the food order. Again she doesn't drink wine, so it is my food I choose without regard to what she is having I guess I agree totally with Bob Ross. Imagine that!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:14 am

Bob, your comment: "On the occasion of dining out, I always will choose the wine then decide on the food order." really struck me. As important as the subject of wine is in my life, especially when dining out of the house, I have never considered picking the wine first at a restaurant! This is, for me, something of an epiphany. I will try to do as you do next time I/we are to dinner. I can see where it would put an new spin on the whole "what are you getting?" conversation. Thank you, Bob, for this idea.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:25 am

Gosh Jon, coming from a Uber Geek, that is pretty high praise. Let me know what you think after the first occasion. I hope your wine selection(s) are better than what is generally offered in restaurants here.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:36 am

On the restaurant scene, it is kind of a mix. We look at the wine list first to a. determine if it is any good, and b. decide if it is afforable or reasonably priced. Then we go to the menu and select food. Then back to the wine list to find something that goes with both dishes; or if a & b are negative, order a nice ale.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:42 am

I don't know that the frequency is particularly skewed in one way or the other. When I make sosaties, for example, the wine must be de rigueur South African. Then again, sometimes I will have a nice smoky/leathery Pinotage on my mind all week and then select an appropriate food to have with it on the weekend (usually beefsteak marinated in a special Pinotage-friendly marinade and preferrably done over hardwood) - and this is an example of the wine coming first. It really goes both ways.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:22 am

I tend to think that I put the wine first, but I actually rarely do.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:31 am

I voted 50/50 because there are two distinct scenarios that occur. The first is when we cook a meal and I go in search of a wine to serve with it; the second is when we decide to pull a special bottle from the cellar and we then have to decide what sort of food to serve with it. The first scenario occurs more often, since we cook dinner 4-5 times a week and serve wine with it on most nights, but the second scenario may actually consume more of the wine from our cellar, since many of those meals might involve 3-6 bottles of wine.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:42 pm

Bob, even if I could have selected the title Über geek, I wouldn't have. But seriously, the DC restaurant/wine scene is becoming rich and rewarding. This city will soon be on par with San Francisco, New York and New Orleans if it isn't already. When I started in the Judicial Branch 30 years ago, there was one place to eat near my office - a run down lunch line in a department store. Now I have at least seven world class restaurants within a short walk and even some nice chain restaurants like Ruth's Chris.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:46 pm

I have to agree with Bob R...............although I am 50/50. LOL.