The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

West Canadian/BC wine region

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

James M

Rank

Just got here

Tue May 01, 2007 4:32 pm

San Diego

West Canadian/BC wine region

by James M » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:07 pm

I lived in BC for a couple of years and was thoroughly impressed with the Okanagen Valley region (4 hrs.) east of Vancouver. Not only are the wines surprisingly good (red and whites), but the valley is like a slice of Tuscany...rolling hills and a 60-mile lake right through the middle creating some quality micro-climates.

If ever in the Pac NW, very worthy of the effort across the border. Because of the stupid Canadian liquor laws, you will rarely find any of these wine in the US, but they're making some real gems.
LocalWino.com
Chief Wino
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: West Canadian/BC wine region

by Jenise » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:42 pm

James, have to agree with you. I'm on the American side of the border but just outside of Vancouver and have visited several times. The reds are still mostly middlin', but the whites have world-class potential.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:14 am

James M wrote: Because of the stupid Canadian liquor laws, you will rarely find any of these wine in the US.

What are the Canadian laws preventing export to the USA? We see some BC wines in the UK, and Mission Hill was stocked in our supermarkets.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:11 am

We get Mission Hills here in New England, but that's all.
no avatar
User

Bob Macdonald

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:03 pm

by Bob Macdonald » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:59 pm

Peter:

I am not positive but I think the laws/rules in question are those which prevent a winery from shipping directly to a consumer in the US.

I know of some wineries who will not ship to me, a private buyer across the provincial border between Alberta and BC.

However, through their agents product can be shipped and distributed to retail outlets.