The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: More cheapskate pleasures: Hugel Gewurz + salmon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: More cheapskate pleasures: Hugel Gewurz + salmon

by Saina » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:56 pm

Tonight I opened a Hugel et Fils Gewürztraminer "Hugel" 2005 (13%, 14,97€, 4,5g/l acidity, 7g/l sugar) and ate it with a salad with char grilled salmon and cherry tomatoes with just a little bit of balsamico (I wish the foods I make would look better):

The wine was much to my taste. I rarely like Gewurz because they seem a bit heavy, acid-deficient and unrefreshing, but on occasion I do come across one which pleases me. Trimbach regularily makes ones to my taste, but this Hugel was pretty nice also. The nose is floral, more grapefruit than lychee. The palate is full bodied (but on the elegant end of Gewurz's spectrum I suspect), but though it doesn't have much acidity it is refreshing enough and has some very attractive mineral notes. Moderately long aftertaste. Not cloying or heavy.

The slight smokiness of the salmon works well with the full body of the wine. Tomatoes rarely work with any wine, but I suppose Gewurz is assertive enough that here they didn't clash? It was a nice match and a nice wine that I will probably buy again several times. I do find it worrisome that Finnish pricing forces me to think of a 15€ wine as a "budget" wine. Number of under 20€ wines of genuine interest over this way: a dozen or so. Sad state of affairs.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: More cheapskate pleasures: Hugel Gewurz + salmon

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:05 pm

Nice posting Otto. Used to find this gewurtz here but not lately. Zinck is a winner for me!

BTW I visited Hugel in the mid `90s and tasted a complete flight of this varietal from entry level to high end. Terrific session.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:00 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Nice posting Otto. Used to find this gewurtz here but not lately. Zinck is a winner for me!

BTW I visited Hugel in the mid `90s and tasted a complete flight of this varietal from entry level to high end. Terrific session.

Are Zinck's Gewurzs really good? I've had very bad luck with their other wines, but don't remember tasting Gewurz.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:54 pm

Hi Otto, not too many notes but always seem to enjoy the Zinck P Gris and Gewurz. We are somewhat limited in selection up here, very little Pinotage for example!!
But oh muscadet!! Lots.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:33 pm

I've never had anything from Zinck that made me want another sip.
Decisions are made by those who show up