The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Cassis aroma in a Riesling?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Cassis aroma in a Riesling?

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:57 pm

I was ruminating about the recent TalkShoe thread and Riesling in general. My wanderlust took me to the website of the C. von Schubert'sche Schloßkellerei. There I see three of his dry Rieslings described as having the aroma of cassis. I find that odd. Has anyone else out there tasted cassis in Riesling? Am I just too entangled in the platitude, "White wine, white and yellow fruits. Red wine, red and black fruits?"

(A little TMI for the trivia freaks amongst us: Cassis in German is "Schwarze Johannisbeere" or "Black (St.) John's Berry." It has dialectal nicknames such as "Bedbug Berry" and "Goat's Berry" and "Goiter Berry." I'll spare you the details as to how it earned that third nickname in homeopathic circles. Somehow my Cabernet Sauvignon just ain't ever going to taste the same though.)
Last edited by Gary Barlettano on Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: Cassis aroma in a Riesling?

by Saina » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:01 pm

I wondered about cassis once also and was told it is a "terroir scent" of the Goldtröpfchen vineyard in Piesport.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:10 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:I wondered about cassis once also and was told it is a "terroir scent" of the Goldtröpfchen vineyard in Piesport.

Scharzhofberger as well.
Last edited by Rahsaan on Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:18 pm

Gary, I have often heard/read where the departed (not dead) John Trombley reports on cassis in rieslings. And when it comes to riesling, I take John as gospel.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:32 pm

Well, the black currant and the gooseberry are both species within the genus Ribes and I do get gooseberries from Riesling. (Leave it alone, Stuart!) It's not such a stretch to imagine that the aroma components are similar and could be expressed in a Riesling.

Guess I need to step up my Riesling consumption ... for scientific purposes, of course.
And now what?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:58 pm

I more often run into cassis leaf in the Scharzhofberg rieslings. I have run across cassis though. Think fresh,wild cassis, not some distilled essence. I had a chance to smell and taste wild cassis (and crush & sniff the leaves) last fall & it was very revealing.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:31 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I more often run into cassis leaf in the Scharzhofberg rieslings. I have run across cassis though. Think fresh,wild cassis, not some distilled essence. I had a chance to smell and taste wild cassis (and crush & sniff the leaves) last fall & it was very revealing.

In all my years in Germany, I never smelled the leaf. I've only had the fruit in a variety of presentations. Maybe that's the difference. I'll have to talk my ex into mailing me a few leaves.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:42 pm

Blackcurrant is classic in Sauvignon, and Riesling is sometimes surprisingly close to SB blind.

I think dark fruit notes are harder to pick up in white wines because we're not looking for them. I once smelled a red wine that smelled a lot like fresh cream, which was equally unexpected...
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:50 am

The most pronounced cassis aroma I had in a Riesling so far was in a Zeltinger Schlossberg by Selbach-Oster. The vienyard has a reputation for producing such aromas.

Peter
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:56 pm

Watch out for honey in red wine too. I was once struggling to put a name to a caramel-like odour I was getting from Beaucastel 99 last year. Someone across the room said "honey". Bingo! That was exactly it.

I'll keep a eye (nose) out for blackcurrant on Riesling. Haven't noticed any yet - stuck in a petrol and lime rut I'm afriad.