The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 2005 Edmunds St. John Shell and Bone

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

TN: 2005 Edmunds St. John Shell and Bone

by geo t. » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:33 pm

We've enjoyed this wine a number of times over the last few months, and even if it will improve with cellaring, I doubt that the case we bought last week will last the summer (we had another bottle tonight). Kim has proclaimed it her “White Wine of the Year (so far…)," and I'm right there with her.

2005 Edmunds St. John Shell and Bone Paso Robles White Wine, 14.2% alc., $21: Made with Viognier and Roussanne grown in the hills west of Paso Robles, this medium straw-pale gold offers flavors and aromas of yellow apple, pear and melon that are neither over- or under-ripe; a subtle undertone of minerality adds a nice touch to the overall effect. Good cut, length and presence to this, and if it’s not overly complex, I quite like what’s here, and a few years in the cellar should pay dividends. A fine match for Kim’s salmon patties and a spinach salad. Viognier sourced from the Rozet Vineyard, and the Roussanne from the Tablas Creek Vineyard; both vineyards on vertical shoot-positioned trellis. Whole-cluster pressed, and fermented in 22 year-old French Puncheons, with spontaneous malolactic fermentation in wood. Most of the Roussanne and all of the Viognier was transferred to stainless steel in April '06, and bottled at the end of August.

-from A Bunch o' Whites (and One Pinky)

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: TN: 2005 Edmunds St. John Shell and Bone

by Redwinger » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:25 pm

george,
good stuff
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:21 pm

George,

Just had our first bottle over the weekend. Excellent juice. We both noticed the melon notes as well. I think I bought it on Redwinger's reco. Kudos to Bill!
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:37 pm

Sam Platt wrote:George,

Just had our first bottle over the weekend. Excellent juice. We both noticed the melon notes as well. I think I bought it on Redwinger's reco. Kudos to Bill!

Hey. Sam, that 'Winger's no slouch when it comes to good wine!

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :wink:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:14 pm

Sam,
Glad you liked it. I picked up a few more bottles today for ~$15, so it is still available if/when you venture toward the capital city.
Bill
PS: Geo obviously doesn't know my palate very well :twisted:
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:16 pm

geo t. wrote:Hey. Sam, that 'Winger's no slouch when it comes to good wine!

Don't be fooled, George. Bill thinks that the finest of (discount) Riesling tastes like Del Monte pear juice. He clearly is not good at discriminating among cheap swills... er... value wines. :wink:

Bill - I am hoping to stop by tomorrow and grab a couple bottles of the ESJ S&B on my way through town.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:32 pm

Sam Platt wrote:Don't be fooled, George. Bill thinks that the finest of (discount) Riesling tastes like Del Monte pear juice. He clearly is not good at discriminating among cheap swills... er... value wines. :wink:

Well...the "finest of (discount) Riesling" does taste like pear juice. I presume you speak of the oversugared and oversoft 2005 Dr. L - a true QPR letdown.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:14 pm

Redwinger wrote:

Sam,
Glad you liked it. I picked up a few more bottles today for ~$15, so it is still available if/when you venture toward the capital city.

$15?! Are you buying it at wholesale?!

PS: Geo obviously doesn't know my palate very well :twisted:

Well, you got this one right anyway...

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :roll:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:55 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I presume you speak of the oversugared and oversoft 2005 Dr. L - a true QPR letdown.

David,

You cut me to the quick. Am I the only one who dares carry the torch for the '05 Dr. L? I prefer to think of it as an interesting "near-wine" from an overachieving vintage of actual wine. It fills a niche out there somewhere. I haven't figured out exactly what that niche would be just yet. :)
Sam

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:39 am

[quote="geo t."]
$15?! Are you buying it at wholesale?!
[quote]
Nope.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:02 am

Sam Platt wrote:Am I the only one who dares carry the torch for the '05 Dr. L? I prefer to think of it as an interesting "near-wine" from an overachieving vintage of actual wine. It fills a niche out there somewhere. I haven't figured out exactly what that niche would be just yet. :)

It could be de-alcoholized and put in sippy cups. :twisted:
Decisions are made by those who show up