The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN's: The usual humbling double blind tasting notes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

WTN's: The usual humbling double blind tasting notes

by Michael Malinoski » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:23 pm

These notes on a double blind tasting were from about 3 weeks ago. I was not aware that just about all of the wines were domestic, and I was fooled by my secret expectation that our host would serve mostly French wines. Live and learn!

2003 Clos Pepe Estate Pinot Noir “Vigneron Select” – Double decanted and open for nearly 2 hours. I really like the redolent nose of leather, sweet smoke, crushed raspberries, herbs and tobacco leaf. In the mouth, it drinks much younger and less evolved. There are tangy warm berry fruit flavors and some faint spiciness in a silky-textured, medium-bodied package. There is some drying wood on the finish.

2004 Dehlinger Estate Pinot Noir – Double decanted and open for nearly 2 hours. Compared to #1, this has a much more "industrial" nose of rubber, oil and creosote to go along with herbs and sweet smoky cherries. The texture in the mouth is plush, almost jammy. There are soft spices, dark cherry fruit and cedar notes that come in toward the finish. It does have good length and persistence. My guess was definitely a young Cali Syrah--I was surprised when this was revealed.

2004 Domaine Drouhin Pinot Noir – No decant, open for 2 hours. Roasted nuts and dark berry fruits are about all I get on the nose that doesn't seem very nuanced yet. It is smooth and easy in the mouth, showing an elegant face. Medium-weight, medium frame. It finishes with a hint of heat and some drying tannins.

2002 Betz Family Vineyards Clos De Betz – No decant, open for 2 hours. Very dark, opaque in color. The nose shows clean horse barn and leather, along with dark, rich fruit at first. With air, I find persimmon and an added bass note of plum and chocolate. All in all, it is a very nice nose. It is rich and full-bodied on the palate, with serious oomph. There are black currants, red raspberries and lots of dark spices. Tannins kick in pretty good, but it is a rich, fresh effort that I really like. My guess was a Priorat. WOTN for me.

1997 Ridge Monte Bello
– Double decanted, open for 2.5 hours. Man, this offers up an exotic nose of incense, sweet smoke, cloves, cassis, plum and a touch of leather. It seems familiar to me, but I can't place it. In the mouth, it shows cool berry fruits and chocolate, with a touch of herb. I find it to be broad-shouldered and a bit loosely textured, fanning out throughout the mouth. Big, big (but plush) tannins on the big, lasting finish. This needs more time. My guess was '02 Cali Cab.

1985 Chappellet Cabernet – Lighter ruby color. The nose shows advanced age, with light caramel, dried cherries, leaves and herbs. It is light in the mouth, too, with high acidity. It finishes dry and brittle, with the acidity poking out. Over the hill.

2002 Chappellet Cabernet Pritchard Hill – Double decanted, open for 2.5 hours. Dark, dense color. The initial whiff of eucalyptus fades a bit, replaced by notes of mixed berries, white pepper, fern and chocolate. It is thick-textured and full in the mouth, with a fair dose of alcoholic warmth. Bitter chocolate and gritty tannins on the finish.

2002 Biale Petite Sirah Thomann Station – This is a big monster, with opaque, deep purple color and a nose of smoke, charcoal, rubber, white pepper, anise and dark fruit. It is very big in the mouth and feels inky-textured. There is a sweet attack of dark caramel, followed by a rich mid-palate of brambly mountain fruit and spices. There are really aggressive tannins, but very good length to the finish. My guess was a big Cali Syrah.

Later, came the set of "unofficial" blind wines that some others had brought to add to the fun.

2004 Clos du Val Merlot Napa Valley - I find this to be a bit green on the nose, with green pepper, herbs and some darker tree fruits. In the mouth, there is a big hit of white pepper and rubber to go along with alcoholic warmth. It has a medium-bodied, easy-going structure, though there are some chalky tannins, too.

2005 Hartford Pinot Noir Land's Edge - All gone by the time I got to it. A familiar refrain from me...

2003 Lewelling Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley - There is a nice nose here of tar, blackberries and something like caramel popcorn. It features a seamless texture in the mouth, with a welcoming structure, soft pillowy tannins, dark fruits and elegant balance. A nice package, give it a few more years and it should really shine.

1995 Chateau Lynch-Bages Pauillac - There is a very nice nose of red currants, old cracked leather and some faint tobacco notes to this wine. However, it is a bit linear in the mouth, with red fruit occupying a narrow beam. I keep looking for more of a bottom note and the acidity is a bit sharper than I would want. The person who supplied this wondered if this bottle saw some heat damage, and I would not be surprised if that were the case.

2001 Daniel Rion Vosne Romanee Les Baux Monts. Not served blind. Berries, earthy underbrush, orange peel and clean leather appear on the nose. In the mouth, it sports medium body, with a solidly chiseled definition. It is very clean, with solid acidity, and a nice sappy fruit profile. It has good length with nice twangy acidity.

1997 Muller-Catoir Riesling Auslese Haardter Burgergarten. Sadly, corked.

As usual, an excellent and eclectic mix of wines served blind proves rather humbling!

Michael
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN's: The usual humbling double blind tasting notes

by Ian Sutton » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:58 pm

Ta for the notes - that Dehlinger Pinot sounded like a true curveball in a blind tasting
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

Re: WTN's: The usual humbling double blind tasting notes

by Michael Malinoski » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:43 pm

Ian,

A few others pegged it, but I am thinking they cheated and saw that the bottle shape was Pinot-oriented. Plus, this group often starts with Pinots. I was just going on what I encountered in the glass! Still, I would like to try another Dehlinger to get a better sense of whether this was representative of the style.

Michael