The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Schloss Gobelsburg, Felsina

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Schloss Gobelsburg, Felsina

by Dale Williams » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:36 am

On my way to SOBER Wednesday, Betsy called to ask what wine to open for cooking with her dinner. I told her anything on "drink" rack. She opened the 2006 Schloss Gobelsburg "Gobelsburger" Gruner Veltliner.We had a glass as an apertif last night. Bigger style than most years, ripe peach and yellow plum fruit, though enough acidity to keep lively. A bit of green peas. Tasty wine, the screwcap is a bonus. B/B+

Dinner was a salmon baked with a tomato/oregano/mustard side, plus green beans with walnuts. Betsy's cookbook suggested Sangiovese, wouldn't have been my first thought but I tried. The dinner wine was a 375 ml of the 2004 Felsina "Berardenga" Chianti Classico. The dust/earth notes are a bit dominant at first, but the dried cherry and black cherry come through with time. Very good acidity, good length for a plain CC. As always, classic Chianti. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency