The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Dehlinger Pinot Noir Goldridge

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: 2003 Dehlinger Pinot Noir Goldridge

by Jason Hagen » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:06 pm

2003 Dehlinger Pinot Noir Goldridge Vineyard (RRV)
Nice ruby color. On the nose I got the band aid thing. I know it is common for some but I rarely notice it. But that faded and it showed nice ripe fruit. Straight forward and primary at this stage. The flavors were nice and rich. This is a very ripe somewhat heavy pinot. When I had it about 18 months ago, I remember it being slightly more elegant. Thankfully there was just enough acid to hold the finish together … but it was close. 89 pts.

Jason
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: WTN: 2003 Dehlinger Pinot Noir Goldridge

by Randy Buckner » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:35 am

How was the oak load, Jason? Dehlinger used to be a favorite of mine many years ago, but they turned too oaky for my preferences.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:58 pm

Randy, I had this wine too a few months back, and my only Dehlinger ever so I'm not reliable for trends, but I don't remember the oak at all. Nice acidity, good red cherry notes, nice complexity and balance. I was really impressed with the wine that night.. especially at the $30 or so I paid at a restaurant!
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:37 am

Randy Buckner wrote:How was the oak load, Jason? Dehlinger used to be a favorite of mine many years ago, but they turned too oaky for my preferences.

I didn't find the oak load heavy. But I am not overly sensitive.

Jason
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:45 am

Good to know -- maybe I'll take another look at them.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:05 pm

Mark Lipton and I had the Dehlinger Goldridge a couple of months ago in Sonoma (There were also two very hot babes with us; but that's another story.) at Cafe La Haye.

I think I can speak for Mark (hell, I will anyway; if I'm wrong, he'll correct me) when I say there was no perceptible bandaid, and it wasn't noticeably overoaked...for what it was. Relatively subdued, for a Russsian River Valley Pinot from Goldridge soil: CA cold-climate sourced fruit, but some interesting secondary charateristics underneath that. Read black cherry up front and mushroom/wet leaves under that.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:50 pm

Since you so cleverly brought it up, Hoke, I think you are OBLIGED to tell us about the `two very hot babes'.. i'm sure others will back me up on this...
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:03 pm

James Dietz wrote:Since you so cleverly brought it up, Hoke, I think you are OBLIGED to tell us about the `two very hot babes'.. i'm sure others will back me up on this...

My wife was one; Mark's wife was the other. I like intense and intelligent women, Jim. First (only) time I'd met Mark and his wife...there was definitely chemistry between them. We had a lovely evening of very good food, very good wine, and very good conversation.

(And you thought I was going to be crass and Yanigerish, didn't you? :D )
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:13 pm

Hoke wrote:
James Dietz wrote:Since you so cleverly brought it up, Hoke, I think you are OBLIGED to tell us about the `two very hot babes'.. i'm sure others will back me up on this...

My wife was one; Mark's wife was the other. I like intense and intelligent women, Jim. First (only) time I'd met Mark and his wife...there was definitely chemistry between them. We had a lovely evening of very good food, very good wine, and very good conversation.

(And you thought I was going to be crass and Yanigerish, didn't you? :D )
s

Great reply!!!! And lucky you! And her!!
Cheers, Jim