The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wines at home with dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Wines at home with dinner

by Saina » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:02 pm

I'm trying to catch up with all I've been tasting and - more importantly - drinking. Forgive me, if I've posted some of these notes already:

• 2004 Winzergenossenschaft Königschaffhausen Königschaffhauser Hasenberg Gewürztraminer Spätlese Trocken - Germany, Baden (7/21/2007)
    Light gold. The nose is strongly mineral, with nice floral and typically Gewurzy notes. The palate is dry, pleasantly astringent though not highly acidic. Unmistakeably Gewurz, yet a restrained and mineral-driven example. I like this very much!
  • 2005 Bodegas Palacio Rioja Cosme Palacio y Hermanos - Spain, La Rioja, Rioja (7/21/2007)
    Oak and sweet red berries on the nose with a slight touch of citrus and earth. The palate is sweetly fruity, yet refreshing and the oak isn't as obvious as on the nose. Certainly a modern style of Rioja, yet inoffensive even to my "old style" tastes. Fair - probably great value if one does like the modern style.
  • 2002 Laborie Estate Wine Pineau de Laborie - South Africa, Coastal Region, Paarl (7/20/2007)
    17,5% and fortified with Pinotage. A nose of mustard and cumin - it sure smells ... sorry, stinks ... like Pinotage! ;) The palate is sweet and full bodied but the alcohol doesn't stick out. If you don't mind some funk, this is a fun little dessert!
  • 2006 Sevilen Majestik Syrah-Kalecik Karasi - Turkey, Western Anatolia (7/20/2007)
    Dark red, very young looking. The nose is peppery and full of sweet, red berries. It seems very Shiraz-like (rather than Syrah-like). The palate is sweetly fruity, with some nice tannins: refreshing and attractive for not being too concentrated. Technically well made, and certainly much more than just for curiosity value.
  • 1997 Château Yon-Figeac - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (7/14/2007)
    The nose rather reminds me of some 2003s: it is roasted with black toned fruit. There is touch of Merlot's plumminess and a tiny hint of CabF's herbaceousness, but the roasted character and coco-powder-like oak are all encompassing. The palate is sweetly fruity but rather hollow, nicely tannic but frightfully low in acidity. This lacks the refreshing qualitites I seek for in wines.
  • 1996 Josef Biffar Deidesheimer Herrgottsacker Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Pfalz (7/9/2007)
    The nose shows great purity, essence of Riesling as it were. This wasn't as mineral as I remembered from my previous bottle, but rather it is all about the purity of fruit with everything resolved (this doesn't mean the nose wasn't complex, though) - it smells mature but not in the petrolly way. The palate is fruity, very pure and tastes dry, though IIRC, it technically can't be called a Trocken. Long, pure and refreshing aftertaste.
  • 2004 Clos Henri Pinot Noir Clos Henri - New Zealand, South Island, Marlborough (7/9/2007)
    13,5% abv, 27,60€. Dark for a pinot. The nose is very sweet with only slight savoury tones. It has quite a bit of oak but also some true Pinot-like beetroot scents. The palate is sweet, not acidic enough yet not flabby either. Lacking in both minerality and earthy notes - it is all about the fruit and oak. Very well made and attractive in its style, but I do want something more at this price.
  • N.V. Adriano Ramos Pinto Porto 20 Year Old Tawny Quinta do Bom Retiro - Portugal, Douro, Porto (7/9/2007)
    The nose is lovely. It is elegantly woody, deliciously nutty and has a delightful floral/rose petal note also. The palate is medium-bodied, in the middle of the sweetness-spectrum of Ports, with lively acidity. This is a very elegant style of Port and one that is very much to my taste. It shows the fruit of a younger Tawny and the elegance of the older one but without the overt woodiness that I often find in older Tawnies.
  • 2004 Golan Heights Winery Chardonnay Yarden - Israel, Galilee, Golan Heights (7/6/2007)
    15,46€ 14,5% abv. Green-gold. The nose is very, very oaky: bitter oak tones, vanillary oak tones, nutty, buttery and popcorny. The palate is big, sweet, oaky and very, very alcoholic - yet it gladly has nice acidity to back everything else up. It is a very well made wine, but not at all in the style that I like. If the oaky, buttery, new world style is what you like, this is a superb deal at at c.15€!

Posted from CellarTracker
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: WTN: Wines at home with dinner

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:52 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:I'm trying to catch up with all I've been tasting and - more importantly - drinking.

What an eclectic list! <clapclapclap>

Thanks for posting, Otto.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:24 pm

Otto, like Robin said, nice notes on a wide variety of wines....Don't quite know how you do it!!

As an aside, we had the '98 Musar at a tasting at the house recently, and it was very, very much appreciated by everyone there among some heavy hitters. Since then, I've picked up a couple of bottles each of both the '97 and '98. We are planning an all Musar tasting at a little Lebanese Restaurant in the next week or so...we'll see how many more of these wines I will have to add to my cellar...thanx for starting me on this journey.. next time I see Wade, let's see if I can come up with some CA juice to corrupt you!!!

http://rosines.com/
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:18 pm

James Dietz wrote:As an aside, we had the '98 Musar at a tasting at the house recently, and it was very, very much appreciated by everyone there among some heavy hitters. Since then, I've picked up a couple of bottles each of both the '97 and '98. We are planning an all Musar tasting at a little Lebanese Restaurant in the next week or so...we'll see how many more of these wines I will have to add to my cellar...thanx for starting me on this journey.. next time I see Wade, let's see if I can come up with some CA juice to corrupt you!!!

http://rosines.com/

The list there looks pretty nice! Try the '93, '91, '88, '72 and '66 - all being personal favourites! The prices do seem rather high, though ... I guess that's just it being a restaurant. I'm glad you caught the Musar-bug. The '98 is a charming wine, but IMO doesn't reach the heights Musar can reach. Can you get the '99 there? If not, I'll ask if Wade can carry one over the next time he is in Finland.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.