The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: T4 - Terrines and Wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: T4 - Terrines and Wine

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:12 pm

For those that haven’t come across notes of these terrine events before, a few words of introduction.

A few years ago I decided that I wanted to create a wine and food event to be held in my garden. I wanted the ease created by a potluck rather than having the host prepare everything. I wanted a theme dish or type of dish that could preferably be prepared mostly ahead of time, and I wanted something with enough variability and scope to allow people to experiment with ingredients and wine matching.

I ended up choosing the general theme of terrines, and made it clear to all that allied dishes like galantines, pâtés and ballotines were more than welcome within the theme. I have a hard core group of 12 people that prepare 6 terrines to make a meal, and it has worked out better than I’d ever have hoped.

This year, for the first time, some unseasonably inclement weather relegated us to the dining room rather than the garden, although that did save on travel time between kitchen and table. We started off with a seafood terrine made with an avocado and shrimp centre, a halibut based outer, wrapped with smoked salmon and garnished with cucumber, green wasabi caviar and a shrimp. I took a picture of the whole terrine as the owner wanted to document it in case it fell apart when he went to serve it!

2002 La Chablisienne Chablis Prem. Cru Cote de Lechat – clean stony nose, light and well balanced and it worked very well with the food. Picked up some additional complexity as it warmed a little.

Next up was a vegetable and foie gras terrine, offered with a dry white and a couple of half bottles of Barsac.

1998 Pascal Jolibert Pouilly Fumé La Grande Cuvée – good fruit and minerality in the nose, full in mid-palate and a nice long peach tinged finish.

1988 Ch. Doisy Daene Barsac – slightly the lightest colour of the two, with a botrytis nose nicely coupled with a floral note. Not too sweet, long and well defined - the better wine of the two.

1988 Ch. Coutet Barsac – bit darker with a sweeter nose and more weight in mid palate but lower acid made it a less bright wine than the Doisy and a tad clumsy.

A very pretty mushroom terrine was up next, incorporating several different mushrooms and garnished with Phyllo covered Boursin cheese. It had replaced (at the last minute) the avocado terrine that had defied three attempts to produce anything other than guacamole.

2004 Tablas Creek Esprit de Beaucastel Blanc – Roussanne 65%, Grenache Blanc 30% and Picpoul 5% (unusual that last one). Good white Rhone nose, full flavoured and mellow.

2001 Arcadian Pinot Noir Gary’s Vineyard – medium colour for a Californian PN, excellent nose, more Burgundian (although sweeter fruit than a Burg would have) than the Arcadian also brought by the next person. Sweet entry, good acidity and length and a sweet finish as well. I thought this wine went better with food than the next Arcadian.

The next dish was a rabbit with pistachios and olives.

2001 Arcadian Pinot Noir Sleepy Hollow Vineyard – a lighter colour and higher acid distinguished this wine as well as a less Burgundian more fruit driven nose. It was a little sweeter and less earthy than the Gary’s and didn’t work quite as well with food.

1999 Jacques Prieur Beaune Champs Pimont – the stand out among the Pinots with excellent Burgundian nose of cherry and a hint of blackberry, clean and silky with nice acidity at the end. Great food wine and an excellent value.

Next up was an eggplant and lamb terrine with a tomato based sauce:

2003 Jaboulet Chevalier de Sterimberg Hermitage Blanc – I must say that this wine was one of the real stand outs of the evening. Best I could find out was that they use Roussanne and Marsanne in approximately equal amounts. It had a lovely waxy nose of cashew and honey, a nice oily mouth feel, and despite reports of this vintage, entirely adequate levels of acidity. Best match!

1998 Dom. du Caillou Chateauneuf du Pape – I am surprised we don’t see more of Bruno Gaspards work – these wines can be delightful and I was myself delighted to later check my cellar list and see that I had a full case (somewhere!) unopened. (as well as a little of the Le Clos reserve wine). Excellent funky Rhone nose quite sweet in the mouth, but with tons of offsetting acidity. A big, dark, very good wine that there is no hurry to drink (or in my case, find).

My course was last – a terrine made of strips of ham and chicken breast rolled in herbs in a forcemeat of veal, chicken, ham, Armagnac and cream. The accompaniment was pickled grapes (I used Jalapeno as an ingredient and was trying to remember not to rub my eyes for the rest of the day!)

The background is different as I wanted to present my wines blind and I couldn’t quite trust the crew not to peek, so I took the picture in the kitchen.

2000 Montes Alpha Syrah – this wine always shows mint, yet it definitely doesn’t come across as Australian so it is a good ringer. It has some sweetness on entry but not much in the mouth and wasn’t really varietally correct in terms of nose and profile, unlike the following wine.

2003 Renard Syrah Truchard Vineyard – right away the white pepper in the nose was heading people to the old world, and cassis didn’t give this Napa wine away as New World. Fairly big wine, long finish and amazingly Rhonish for a Napa wine, and the best match with food.

We had now finished the main event and decided to have a bit of cheese and of course also needed wine to go with it, so we took one person’s back-up and I headed for the cellar for a second wine.

1995 Biondi Santi Schidione – an IGT with cab and merlot mixed in with the sangiovese gave a wine with decent fruit in the nose, and lots of clean acidity. Interesting but not paradigm altering.

1990 Lungarotti San Giorgio – tar and currant and some tomato in the nose, medium body, smooth ending with little tannin but clean acid. Time to drink.

A short discussion revealed that the attendees in no way felt that we have exhausted this theme and there will therefore be a T5 in 2008!

Next year we will be back in the garden!!

[img]http://www.rhodo.citymax.com/i/terrine/dining-area.jpg[/img]
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: T4 - Terrines and Wine

by Rahsaan » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:18 pm

Interesting event, I guess I've seen notes from this event in the past, although I must admit that terrines are not necessarily my favorite category of food, I am sure that everything was very delicious.

And interesting choices of wines for some of the flights. I noticed in particular the decision to serve a Pouilly Fume with two Sauternes. Good for keeping people's palates alert!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:31 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Interesting event, I guess I've seen notes from this event in the past, although I must admit that terrines are not necessarily my favorite category of food, I am sure that everything was very delicious.

Rahsaan, I'm a lucky participant, and there's no dinner party in my year that I look forward to as much as this. Since most of the work can be done the day before and most of these are served at room temperature, everybody brings a dish of fairly equal advance effort that requires just a ten minute interlude between courses to plate and serve. It takes the pot luck concept to a pretty high level--so much creativity and artistry yet it's such a relaxed evening.

Bill, thanks again.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:34 pm

Jenise wrote:so much creativity and artistry yet it's such a relaxed evening..

That is an attractive combination.
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:47 pm

A wonderful event. Congratulations for conceiving of this and for finding the right people to make it such a great success. -- Clark
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:23 pm

Yeah, I would willingly be a part of this tasting group!!! Pates and terrines were my big interest when I was at hotel school.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:21 am

Great post and pictures Bill. I look forward to reading about this event every year.

So which terrine did Jenise make? I will take a wild guess and say the mushroom. The Salmon picture prior to slicing really looks incredible, with all the orange, wow.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:02 pm

Bill -

hate to borrow a phrase from another, umm, Board, but 'You 'da man!'.
This looks like a fantastic event, and the terrines (to my mind) would match perfectly to a summer tasting. If I'm ever in BC.... 8)

-Mark
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:49 pm

Marc D wrote:Great post and pictures Bill. I look forward to reading about this event every year.

So which terrine did Jenise make? I will take a wild guess and say the mushroom. The Salmon picture prior to slicing really looks incredible, with all the orange, wow.

You guessed right.

I've got to find my notebook and comment on the wines...now where did I put that?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:38 am

Finally found my notebook (will enable me to respond to the BC syrah thread, too).

On the wines:

2002 La Chablisienne: slightly more smokey than steely with typical aged Chablis character. A better match for the seafood terrine than I would have expected.

1998 Pascal Jolibert Pouilly Fume--not a bad wine, but too austere for this course.

1988 Doisy Daene: bright yellow color and bright yellow fruit on the palate, a bit of diesel and anise seed. Lovely.

1988 Coutet--honeyed, orange-gold, heavier. Preferred the Daene of the two, but to be honest I didn't think any of these three wines paired well with the foie gras and vegetables. Would have loved to see a gruner veltliner here.

2001 Arcadian Gary's Vineyard pinot noir: My wine for my course. I chose this wine with some trepidation knowing the Arcadians are well known to this bunch of diners and that I had wines they'd have never tried before, and yet of all the pinots I have the earthy red fruits of the Gary's with the fresh picked tomato skin/tomato leaf notes was going to be THE match with the dish, so it's what I chose. And it did not disappoint--it was a perfect match with the naked terrine itself. However, I thought the next wine was a better match with the plate as a whole:

2004 Esprit de Beaucastel blanc: very fine wine. My only note was, "Brilliant fruit, lovely with everything on the plate." Bought them several months after being impressed with it at the winery last September with some trepidation, because so overpowering were all the wines we'd been tasting there in Paso that, months later, I couldn't be sure if the wine had really been that good or I'd just been grateful. The Paso wines hadn't exactly impressed me, and this was the last winery on the last day. This was the first of the batch I've opened, and I'm so glad I have five more bottles.

2001 Aradian Sleepy Hollow pinot noir: another lovely Arcadian with a sweeter presence and less earth than the Gary's, which I preferred.

Unfortunately it was completely overshadowed by the 99 Jacques Prieur which was simply perfect, both for how it drinks now and with the rabbit terrine with pistachios and green olives.

2003 Jaboulet Sterimberg white: my WOTN. I loved this wine--my notes say "Magical. Green basil and peaches". Yet I'm generally never impressed with Rhone whites and wouldn't have expected this kind of quality from the 03 vintage. Good job, David and Nadine!

No notes on the 98 Caillou CdP, but I remember how well it was drinking, how bright and clear it was. Enjoyed it a lot.

Re your Montes Alpha, my notes go: "Smokey. Tarry. South Africa?" Says a lot. I didn't note "simple", but I remember it that way.

And of course it was dwarfed by the 03 Truchard Syrah. Very Hermitage-y. Fantastic, white pepper, dark berries, not sweet, concentrated and complex but not extracted or heavily oaked. An excellent syrah I didn't think was possible in California. I should mention that these were served with my favorite terrine of the night.

And then the two cheese wines. We killed two babies here, I didn't think either was drinking particularly well though I found the Schidione had more fruit than the Lungarotti. My notes say, "very Italian, but not memorable."

Anyway, another fantastic year of terrines and wine. Maybe we should do a winter version with gratins....

I'm still waiting for your terrine recipe.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:05 pm

That Truchard was a Renard Winery offering.