The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

M. Chapoutier in Australia?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

M. Chapoutier in Australia?

by Jenise » Fri May 05, 2006 12:44 pm

So I was doing some wine shopping and stumbled across: M. Chapoutier Mt. Benson shiraz. Is this the same Fench producer I know making syrah downunder? If so, how's the wine, and are any other French producers doing this?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: M. Chapoutier in Australia?

by Ian Sutton » Fri May 05, 2006 3:35 pm

Jenise
Yes, the same producer, though I understand there's been a geographical movement in recent times (some vineyards bought, others sold). If the free content is still on winepros.com.au (in fact if the site is even still there!) then they'll have James Hallidays overview of the winery.

Of other French producers, Domaine Chandon in the Yarra are pretty big (Green Point is their big brand).

Dominique Portet spent years at Taltarni and now has his own winery in Heathcote (The shiraz is worth trying if you see it).

I know there's others (Francois "Franky" Jacquard springs to mind), in fact there's a book by John Beeston called a concise history of Australian wine, which (I recall) also charts the involvement of the French since the early colonial days (Velmai Henkel also wrote some similar - and fantastic - articles in Winestate, which almost made up for the rest of the magazine!).

Oh and then there's the Germans, Austrians, Serbs, Croats, not to mention the Italians et al. You don't think the English could foster a great wine industry do you :lol: :wink:

Hope this is of interest

Ian
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Fri May 05, 2006 5:35 pm

I was tempted by the Mt Benson a couple years ago when it was available at the bargain price of $14 at a local, mostly Aussie, wine store. I went back after drinking the bottle and snapped up a case. Robin posted a TN on this wine in the old WLDG, which pretty much matched my impressions.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Fri May 05, 2006 5:41 pm

Established in 1998, M.Chapoutier (Australia) - located near Robe on the far south coast in South Australia (roughly a bit north-west of Coonawarra) - are quoted as being 'biodynamic' and supposedly, (I haven't tried any as yet), make pretty good, well-priced Shiraz and Cabernet. They also have plantings of marsanne, viognier and savignon blanc but I have no information on file on these.
Cheers,

David