The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN's from OTBP: Robertson, Flowers, 5H

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ardeis Scott

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:01 pm

WTN's from OTBP: Robertson, Flowers, 5H

by Ardeis Scott » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:39 pm

ImageRobertson Pinotage 2006, S Africa
Thin candied apple red color. Fruity nose. Sweet, wet, ripe strawberries coat your mouth with a tasty, light flavor. Subtle tannins to finish. Soft, well-integrated tannins. Like biting into a fresh strawberry you just picked at a berry farm still damp from recent sprinkler action. Ready to drink now and is perfect without food. $7.99. Definitely a QPR. B.

Flowers Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir 2004
This pinot is losing some of it's youthfulness but hasn't fully blossomed into the wine it is striving to become. There are delicious notes of rhubarb pie and cedar. Plus a few hints of sandlewood and smoked meats coming through on day two. But it hasn't really reached it's pinnacle of smoothness, just a bit too young right now. B+.

5H Washington White Riesling 2006
A Washington white riesling that might be a surprise or even a shock to German riesling drinkers as there is little to no sweetness to this wine. If tasted blindly, would be mistaken for a sauvignon blanc. Tart flavors of pink grapefruit and dash of limejuice. Decent acidity a somewhat crisp tannins to finish. Certainly a departure from my riesling profile, but enjoyable none the less. B.

Accronyms: OTBP--Off the beaten path; QPR--Quality priced right

Regards,

Ardeis in Seminole
Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it
— Mahatma Gandhi
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

Re: WTN's from OTBP: Robertson, Flowers, 5H

by Clinton Macsherry » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:16 am

Very nice notes, Ardeis. I haven't seen you post here before, so let me say "welcome." Hope you'll enjoy this group as much as I do.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:45 pm

Ardeis, what a good descriptor 'rhubarb' is. Some of struggle when trying to describe pinot flavors on the red end of the scale, and rhubarb would fit nicely sometimes when cherry is not enough and strawberry too pink, cranberry too tart. Thanks for reminding us it exists. Btw, I really like the Flowers style. They're a real class act winery, too. I remember a few years ago they were so unhappy with how one early vintage of pinot turned out, they returned the money paid to buyers unasked. I was floored. And the wine was well worth drinking, too, just a bit lighter and more delicate than typical, but certainly not dilute or nasty.
no avatar
User

Ardeis Scott

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:01 pm

by Ardeis Scott » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:21 pm

Replies to all et al......I was a member of the old format of split screens but most of my time has been w/WCWN's group and I have been renovating a home for over a year complete now with walkin cellar, and producing my own "vintage", a new-born daughter Sureya this past May. So I accept your "welcome back" warmly!

And you are right, I am surprised how many people are unfamiliar with rhubarb. Such unusual descriptors show up some time on TN's it seem people have experienced far more exotic food/spices than I. But rhubarb pie was a regular treat of my grandmother's at special occasion family gatherings since I was a tot that it is an ingrained taste. Whenever I see a shelf-talker mention rhubarb, I grab a bottle of whatever it is, knowing it probably will appeal to me. But many of my friends in wine don't really identify with rhubarb well so I consider it to be a benefit of my upbringing. Perhaps rhubarb should be equated with "old money"!! :)

Okay, I can't stand it .....here she is!!

[img]http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/515/medium/Sureya_smiling.jpg[/img]

Regards and hope I can be a valuable contributer. We have a regular wineclub meeting here in the Clearwater area every couple of months so I hope to have many labels to sample in the coming months. Our theme for August is German rieslings.

Ardeis [/img]
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:23 pm

Clinton Macsherry wrote:Very nice notes, Ardeis. I haven't seen you post here before, so let me say "welcome." Hope you'll enjoy this group as much as I do.

Me too welcome!! Notes like that...keep `em coming!!!

Doris.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:04 pm

Welcome back, Ardeis, and congratulations on the arrival of your beautiful little girl!

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child