The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Anyone familiar with Italian producer Accordini?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Anyone familiar with Italian producer Accordini?

by JC (NC) » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:15 am

A restaurant in Raleigh is having a wine dinner with Italian wines including Accordini Passo, Amarone and Recioto wines. I'm inexperienced with Italian wines and wondered if this producer is well regarded.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: Anyone familiar with Italian producer Accordini?

by Tim York » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:40 am

One of our best Italian wine sellers imports Accordini and I have had bottles of basic Valpolicella, Ripasso and Amarone, all of which were very enjoyable without leaving an imperishable memory.
Tim York
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:43 am

Thank you for responding. That sounds encouraging as the cost of the dinner is reasonable.
no avatar
User

Bob Semon

Rank

Just got here

Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:43 pm

by Bob Semon » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:24 pm

There are two Accordini's available on the East Coast, Stephano and Igino. (Well, there probably are more, but these are the only one's that I know.) I'm more familiar with Igino, since he's represented by a local (DC area) importer. Rustic. I get hints of VA in the wines I've had, though perhaps not enough to call it more than a nuance. I'm less familiar with Stephano, though I did like a bottle of ripasso that I tried a couple of months ago when I was in FL. Stephano gets the press, uniformly good in my experience.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:08 pm

Thanks again for responding. I don't know which Accordini this is.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:08 pm

The Accordini whose I refer to is Stefano.

Different estates with the same family name plagues the consumer in many wine regions, e.g. the number of different Morey estates in Burgundy - Pierre is the best IMHO.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:32 pm

Tim York wrote:Different estates with the same family name plagues the consumer in many wine regions, e.g. the number of different Morey estates in Burgundy - Pierre is the best IMHO.

Burgundy has to be winner of Name Confusion Sweepstakes, with the variety of Ligniers, Moreys, Esmonins, Noellats,Gaunoux, and of course the Gros family. One doesn't want to pay Christophe Roumier prices for Laurent, or for the "wrong" Dauvissat.

Of course Piedmont has multiple Conternos, Mascarellos, Borgognos, Giacosas, Rinaldis. And then in Germany the Prums, Thanisch estates, etc.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:40 pm

I don't think I've had any Pierre Morey wines. I do like the style of Jean Marc Morey who seems to have a lighter hand with oak aging than Bernard. I've had three different Chassagne-Montrachets from Jean Marc Morey and liked all of them.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:45 pm

Pierre Morey is differentiated by his Meursault oriented portfolio and address; the others are in Chassagne-Montrachet, I think. He is manager of the Domaine Leflaive estate and brings the same rigour to his own small estate and to his négotiant business, Morey Blanc. His wines are not very accessible in their youth but become superbly focused and classy after a few years ageing. I remember some superb 1992s, all gone; they had the right backbone to bring out the superb qualities of a vintage which could be over luscious and a bit soggy.

I have also had some very nice wines from Marc Morey.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:47 pm

JC,

For what it is worth, Stefano is mentioned in my Bastianich/Lynch wine buying guide as "...makes excellent Amarone on a small scale. "Acinatico" is consistently silky, balanced and of medium weight. "Il Fornetto" is a massive reserve wine."

Cheers from Umbria!

Paulo